Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass men’s soccer heads down to Carolina for a weekend pair of games -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Pigskin Pick’Em Week nine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Minutewomen end 5-game skid against Bobcats

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Freshman Rashida Timbilla spent the last seconds of the Massachusetts women’s basketball team’s loss to Holy Cross on the bench, having turned the ball over six times and fouling out.

On Thursday afternoon, the guard returned to the court unfazed, dropping 16 points and grabbing 13 rebounds in the Minutewomen’s 65-61 win over Ohio to help end the team’s five-game losing streak.

Coach Sharon Dawley was front-and-center for Timbilla’s bounce back performance.

“I think what I saw in Rashida was ‘refuse to lose’,” Dawley said in a postgame interview with UMassAthletics.com. “Something just clicked and she just said, ‘It’s not happening today.’ (Rashida) played really good defense, got boards, scored for us and then got some huge blocks.”

Timbilla’s contribution was key for UMass (2-5) who was without its leading scorer Jasmine Watson.

The Ottawa, Ontario, native was also a force down low, where Watson usually operates. Seven of Timbilla’s 13 boards came on the offensive end. On defense she added four blocks to the team total of 11.

Dawley was pleased that Timbilla stepped up for the afternoon affair.

“We just asked a little bit more of Rashida,” Dawley said. “She had the ball in her hands a little bit more, ended up with 16 (points) and 13 (rebounds) so overall it was a good move.”

Emily Mital scored 13 points and added four rebounds of her own for UMass. She opened the scoring with an early 3-pointer to set the tempo.

Three minutes in, the Bobcats (1-4) took a brief lead, but the Minutewomen recovered quickly and never looked back.

The bench play was also important in the UMass victory, which Dawley recognized in her center’s absence.

“Kids coming off the bench were huge,” Dawley said. “They gave us big minutes especially with (Jasmine) being out.

“Kim (Pierre-Louis) is a down low threat and Millie’s (Niggeling) a 3-point shooter that gets us into a rhythm. Nola Henry did a great job off the bench, (Carolann Cloutier) helped us off the bench, Jasmine Harris made a huge three and also played some gritty defense.”

Pierre-Louis contributed eight points off the bench along with six rebounds. Harris added nine, while Niggeling added six points, four rebounds and a pair of blocks. Dawley was especially pleased with Niggeling’s second block, with 2:46 remaining in the first half, which she labeled as “momentum killing.”

Kiyanna Black represented the Bobcats biggest threat, with her 21 points off the bench, while providing five assists and swiping four steals. However, her contribution wasn’t enough, as she was the only Ohio player to score in double figures.

Dawley also had praise for senior guard Dee Montgomery. Though she didn’t record a basket from the floor, the captain put three points through from the free throw line and grabbed five boards.

“I would say the number one aspect of today was the leadership of Dee Montgomery,” Dawley said.

The Minutewomen will have the opportunity to complete their Ohio sweep in Oxford, Ohio, on Saturday when they take on Miami (Ohio) at 2 p.m.

Jeffrey Okerman can be reached at jokerman@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Okerman.