UMass football blown out in all phases against Penn State -

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Penn State rushes over UMass football 48-7 -

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Luke Pavone jumpstarts UMass men’s soccer’s comeback effort in win over Fairfield -

Saturday, September 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer earns first win of the season in emotional home opener -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Ed Davis report leaves nobody blameless -

Friday, September 19, 2014

White House starts public awareness drive to prevent sexual attacks on campus -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Work already underway for SGA speaker Sïonan Barrett -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass in for a challenge against Penn State, QB Hackenberg -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nostalgia and angst abound in ‘Palo Alto’ -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Want student power? End the SGA -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass football kicking situation still undecided, looking forward to opportunity to play at Beaver Stadium -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lorenzo Woodley finds opportunity after getting lost in the shuffle -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Millennials’ votes can make a difference in all elections -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass faculty member Bonnie Strickland recognized for work in psychology -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass women’s soccer suffers major set back with injury to co-captain Jackie Bruno -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass men’s soccer returns home looking for season’s first win -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass professor Elizabeth Chilton to speak in Madrid and Paris about importance of heritage studies -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass club rugby hopes to continue momentum despite opening loss -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bizarre foods eaten worldwide -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

US should spend more on space -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Where to buy a holiday sweater on a budget

Flickr/shelisrael1

Whether you wear it for one day out of the year or for all 365, a festive sweater is for life, not just for Christmas. With the removal of all turkey or pumpkin-themed attire post-Thanksgiving, what better way to spice up your wardrobe for December than with some red, green or some down-right heinous woolly clothing that’s so bad it’s good?

Urban Outfitters features a variety of “Holiday Sweaters.” Although some quite puzzlingly feature dinosaurs embroidered on the front, the majority bear the traditional diamond and striped patterns that have come to scream the words “Joyeux Noël.” For girls and for guys, Urban Outfitters offers plenty of sweaters and cardigans with snowflakes, reindeer, cute polar bears or other kitsch Christmas emblems, with prices ranging from $24 for the “Vintage Ugly Vest/Cardigan” to $110 for the designer-made, with the nicest, most moderately-priced costing around $60.

For those on a budget, Walmart’s shelves are also stocked with festive goodies, including, but not limited to, a t-shirt with the slogan “Snow Much Fun” for the tender price of $5. How can you go wrong with that? Walmart also supplies $18 sleigh-emblazoned white sweaters, as well as festive turtlenecks for $10.
JCPenney, in close proximity to UMass at its location in Hampshire Mall, offers discounted chunky “Snowflake Sweaters” with fancy detailing for only $24. Slightly more expensive at $40, “Novelty Cardigans” look sure to provide warmth in the cold, winter months of Massachusetts.

An alternative to the slew of chain department stores are second-hand stores. The Salvation Army, Goodwill, along with stores in Northampton such as Roz’s Place Vintage & New are sure to hold some unique yuletide apparel. After all, when in doubt, thrift. Who knows? You may even pick up some Christmas gifts for others while you’re at it.

Unimpressed with these options? Then turn to the mighty kingdom of the Internet. One Google search for Christmas clothing and you’ll find yourself inundated with amazing, shabby sweater after amazing, shabby sweater. If you feel as though you’re drowning in the red, green and gold ocean of the commercialized, do not fear. Sites like thesweaterstore.com, tipsyelves.com and christmassweaterlady.com present a guiding light in the art of buying Christmas sweaters with easy to navigate webpages and a plethora of tasteful and not-so-tasteful designs to suit every need. Loveclothing.com, a U.K. company, with delivery to over 100 countries, also offers gorgeous festive sweaters to bring into the New Year with you.

So, when you’re feeling festive anticipating the Christmas countdown, sitting in front of the television watching “The Grinch,” or even when you’re studying for finals in the dining halls, gazing out of the snowy windows with a hot cup of cocoa in hand, spare a thought for the Christmas sweaters so easily bought and discarded, and make sure to make yours one you can wear for a lifetime. After all, you never know when you’ll be invited to an ugly sweater party, or when someone might run out of party ideas and throw a festive shindig in July.

Jenny Rae can be reached at jrae@student.umass.edu.