Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Where to buy a holiday sweater on a budget

Flickr/shelisrael1

Whether you wear it for one day out of the year or for all 365, a festive sweater is for life, not just for Christmas. With the removal of all turkey or pumpkin-themed attire post-Thanksgiving, what better way to spice up your wardrobe for December than with some red, green or some down-right heinous woolly clothing that’s so bad it’s good?

Urban Outfitters features a variety of “Holiday Sweaters.” Although some quite puzzlingly feature dinosaurs embroidered on the front, the majority bear the traditional diamond and striped patterns that have come to scream the words “Joyeux Noël.” For girls and for guys, Urban Outfitters offers plenty of sweaters and cardigans with snowflakes, reindeer, cute polar bears or other kitsch Christmas emblems, with prices ranging from $24 for the “Vintage Ugly Vest/Cardigan” to $110 for the designer-made, with the nicest, most moderately-priced costing around $60.

For those on a budget, Walmart’s shelves are also stocked with festive goodies, including, but not limited to, a t-shirt with the slogan “Snow Much Fun” for the tender price of $5. How can you go wrong with that? Walmart also supplies $18 sleigh-emblazoned white sweaters, as well as festive turtlenecks for $10.
JCPenney, in close proximity to UMass at its location in Hampshire Mall, offers discounted chunky “Snowflake Sweaters” with fancy detailing for only $24. Slightly more expensive at $40, “Novelty Cardigans” look sure to provide warmth in the cold, winter months of Massachusetts.

An alternative to the slew of chain department stores are second-hand stores. The Salvation Army, Goodwill, along with stores in Northampton such as Roz’s Place Vintage & New are sure to hold some unique yuletide apparel. After all, when in doubt, thrift. Who knows? You may even pick up some Christmas gifts for others while you’re at it.

Unimpressed with these options? Then turn to the mighty kingdom of the Internet. One Google search for Christmas clothing and you’ll find yourself inundated with amazing, shabby sweater after amazing, shabby sweater. If you feel as though you’re drowning in the red, green and gold ocean of the commercialized, do not fear. Sites like thesweaterstore.com, tipsyelves.com and christmassweaterlady.com present a guiding light in the art of buying Christmas sweaters with easy to navigate webpages and a plethora of tasteful and not-so-tasteful designs to suit every need. Loveclothing.com, a U.K. company, with delivery to over 100 countries, also offers gorgeous festive sweaters to bring into the New Year with you.

So, when you’re feeling festive anticipating the Christmas countdown, sitting in front of the television watching “The Grinch,” or even when you’re studying for finals in the dining halls, gazing out of the snowy windows with a hot cup of cocoa in hand, spare a thought for the Christmas sweaters so easily bought and discarded, and make sure to make yours one you can wear for a lifetime. After all, you never know when you’ll be invited to an ugly sweater party, or when someone might run out of party ideas and throw a festive shindig in July.

Jenny Rae can be reached at jrae@student.umass.edu.