Elevator etiquette

Courtesy of UMass.edu

Floor fourteen going up. Floor seventeen going up. Floor two going up. Floor–wait a minute. Floor two going up? Alright, we’ve all had to go to at least one of the twenty six floors of the W.E.B Du Bois library at some point; maybe for research, maybe you’re craving a coffee from the procrastination station, or maybe you just want an overlooking view of the campus. Whatever the reason, we’ve all been there. Each day there are people going to floors high up in the double digits for their library needs. That being said, to the people who take the library elevator to floor two, you better have a broken leg, or a damn good reason for prolonging the 15 other people in the elevator from getting to the floors that they need to go to.

When I need to go to floor 17 or 21 for a research paper that I already don’t want to do, then have to continuously stop from floor to floor, I’m a little annoyed. But when on top of that, some princess believes that she (or he) has the liberty to take the elevator up a more than reasonable walking distance, that’s when I become extremely irritated.

In all seriousness, what are you thinking? There are two sets of stairs in the library, and honestly, it’s not that straining to get a two-flight exercise in. In fact, floor nine and below is elevator no-no territory. This is about more than you just looking like a jerk. It would honestly be more productive to take the stairs for floors two through nine because we all know the elevator takes a while. By the time you actually get in the elevator and get to your floor, you could have already walked up the stairs and finished what you came to do. Additionally, to the people who have refused to take the stairs in the library, you’re actually missing out. There are incredible artistic works on the walls in the breaks on the staircases. For each flight you walk up, you could be exposed to an amazing piece of art. So stop making yourself look like a jerk, get some exercise, and give yourself the experience of a museum. Unless you’re going to a floor with more than one digit, take the freaking stairs. Please, and thank you, from majority of the student body.

Ali Strand can be reached for comment at [email protected].