UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Hofstra on Senior Night, 11-6 -

Saturday, April 19, 2014

VIDEO: UMass United Rally in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Safe Passage raises $225,000

Facebook

NORTHAMPTON – Safe Passage, the Northampton-based organization that is committed to ending domestic violence, raised about $225,000 Sunday during its ninth annual Hot Chocolate Run. The money will be used to strengthen and expand the organization’s services.

The turnout for this year’s Hot Chocolate Run maxed out around 5,500, selling out two weeks in advance. Participants received tags around 8 a.m. Sunday and the 2-mile walk started at 9:30 a.m., followed by the 5-kilometer run, which began at 10 a.m.

“It’s a chance to join the community in a good cause,” 28-year-old participant Craig Chamberlain said of the race. “I got energy from the community spirit on a cold morning.”

Safe Passage provided participants – who paid to partake in the run – with 500 gallons of hot chocolate, according to the Daily Hampshire Gazette. The supplies for the hot chocolate were donated by local businesses.

Everyone got to enjoy a mug of hot chocolate at the end of the walk and run and people crowded the event’s scattered booths to show their support.

Sonny Gamble, 24, of Gloucester, came out on top in 5-kilometer race, finishing with a net time of 15:57.5 He was followed by 23-year-old Frank May, of Franklin, who had a net time of 16:11.8 and 22-year-old Orlando Cordero, of Springfield, who clocked in at 16:30.3, according to race results.

Twenty-seven-year-old Katie Chaput, of Mount Hermon, finished first for the women, clocking in with a net time at 17:33.4, according to the results.

The winners received gift cards and new running equipment from the Northampton Running Company and other sponsors.

Twenty-year-old Zoemma Warshafsky, a member of the Triathlon Club at the University of Massachusetts, was one of the many participants in the event.  She said that her club members use fundraising events like the Hot Chocolate Run to stay in shape for the club’s national championships in February.

The event first began with 400 participants in 2003, when the government cut the organization’s funding down from 80 percent to 50 percent.  Former Northampton mayor Clare Higgins was the first to sponsor the run before it exploded into a yearly event for the town.

“The recession didn’t keep costs from rising,” said Safe Passage’s Director of Development Sarah Smith.  “We’re thrilled it shows that people want to support Safe Passage.”

Safe Passage provides free and confidential help to victims of domestic violence, primarily women and children. The organization provides shelter for up to six families and is able to give them legal support.

“It helps a lot because there’s a lot of issues going around,” 19-year-old runner Victoria Slysz said of the organization.

The funds raised by Safe Passage from the run will go towards the organization’s legal programs, the expansion of current programs, and the increase in its services for children.  Safe Passage’s goal is to keep people safe and give them economic independence from their former oppressors.

Paul Bagnall can be reached at pbagnall@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Safe Passage raises $225,000”
  1. Diane Curtis says:

It’s worth noting that there’s a big UMass presence at the race as well — lots of students and employees run the race or participate in the walk. This year, for the second year in a row, the overall winner was a UMass alum. Go UMass!