Veterans Advocacy Services cancels event celebrating Hampshire College flag victory -

UMass women’s basketball team can’t recover from sluggish start in 65-55 loss to George Mason -

‘Loving’ is simple, honest and a rare beauty -

Trump’s victory is unsurprising in racist America -

Capitalism must be fixed, not replaced -

Three-point shooting sinks UMass women’s basketball in loss to George Mason -

Use words to describe, not diminish -

Student sport organization holds video game tournament to raise money for scholarship -

‘Hacksaw Ridge’ starts slow but escalates quickly -

UMass hockey fails to generate scoring chances in 3-0 loss to Notre Dame Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball shooting woes continue as the Minutemen fall 65-62 to UCF -

Despite poor shooting performance, UMass men’s basketball shows improvement on defensive end -

Notebook: Ty Flowers shines in UMass men’s basketball’s loss to UCF Saturday -

Ray Pigozzi shines in first game back for the UMass hockey team since November 4 -

UMass starts hot, finishes strong in upset win over No. 12 Notre Dame -

SGA vice president will resign at the end of the semester -

Raise the Flag protestors praise -

Dining and Housekeeping employees at Smith College seek new contract -

In response to election, immigration lawyer briefs students on potential changes -

Avinoam Patt discusses the role of displaced Jews in the creation of Israel -

Top 10 songs of 2012

Courtesy of Flickr.com/aktivioslo

Picking 10 great songs from 2012 is a lot harder than you’d think. There has been so much great music this year, but here are my picks from a sampling of genres. My favorites are ever-changing but here are some of the ones I haven’t gotten sick of yet…

10. Outlines – All Time Low: This is a band I was way into in my early high school years, but kind of grew out of – until now. This phenomenally written track with guest vocals by the ever-talented Jason Vena creates such a jam.

9. Off to the Races – Lana Del Rey: I love Lana’s Nancy-Sinatra-on-drugs vibe and this song is the perfect representation of her work: old school vocals and lyrics with a new wave twist.

8. A Vicious Kind – Yellowcard: I forgot Yellowcard’s 2012 Album “Southern Air” when comprising my top 10 albums list, but it’s perfect pop-punk. If this song doesn’t get you hyped up, nothing will.

7. Only You – Ellie Goulding: One of my favorites from Ellie’s new album. Haunting, but upbeat, this track has it all.

6. Victoria – Eve 6: If you haven’t noticed yet, this list is a little biased towards upbeat, catchy, and lyrically sound songs. Here’s another with more of a rock edge.

5. Birthday Song – 2 Chainz ft. Kanye West: It’s fun, it’s funny, and it’s one of the best songs to rap to when you’re driving around.

4. I Will Fall – Sam Palladio and Clare Bowen: To be fair this is from the TV show Nashville so it’s a song from a soundtrack, but it’s an incredible track. This isn’t like some other track from Glee though. It’s a soulful and beautiful sung, definitely worth a listen – as is the rest of the show’s soundtrack.

3. Some Nights – fun.: Aside from it being overplayed on the radio, I’ve been listening to this song since fun.’s album was released last February, and I’m STILL not sick of it. There’s no denying it’s one of the best of the year.

2. Breathing Underwater – Metric: Pop-electronic music that actually makes you feel something? Sign me up. Metric has been a favorite of mine for a while, and their new album was one that defined my summer, their tracks being the backdrop for more than a few great nights with my friends.

1. Take a Walk – Passion Pit: I can’t help but turn the volume all the way up whenever this song comes on in my car. You can dance to it, you can sing along with it, and you can never, ever get sick of it.

Alexa Hoyle can be reached for comment at ahoyle@student.umass.edu.