UMass football can’t overcome four third quarter Mississippi State touchdowns, fall 47-35 Saturday -

UMass football’s fourth quarter comeback attempt falls short against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Despite improvement, UMass football still can’t capture first marquee FBS win -

MassPIRG kicks off for the fall semester -

UMass Resistance Studies Initiative hosts activist and author George Lakey -

UMass field hockey readies for tough tests against Stanford, Boston College -

Calling the shots: everything you need to know about the flu vaccine -

UMass assistant Professor speaks about oppression of American Indians -

Astronomy department head hosting sundial and sky-watching event -

UMass football looks to pull off upset against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Comis? Ford? Here’s how I would handle the UMass quarterback situation this weekend against Mississippi State -

An unofficial presidential debate drinking game for the unruly masses -

Stop sweating the small stuff -

In defense of being uncomfortable -

Please go to sleep -

VIDEO – ‘Life in the Dollhouse: Wes Anderson and the Dollhouse Aesthetic’ -

Student struck by car near UMass’ Mullins Center -

President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Nick Rampone anticipate productive year at SGA -

Symposium hosts discussion on safety for journalism students -

Andrew Ford, Ross Comis still battling for UMass football’s starting QB position -

Top 10 songs of 2012

Courtesy of Flickr.com/aktivioslo

Picking 10 great songs from 2012 is a lot harder than you’d think. There has been so much great music this year, but here are my picks from a sampling of genres. My favorites are ever-changing but here are some of the ones I haven’t gotten sick of yet…

10. Outlines – All Time Low: This is a band I was way into in my early high school years, but kind of grew out of – until now. This phenomenally written track with guest vocals by the ever-talented Jason Vena creates such a jam.

9. Off to the Races – Lana Del Rey: I love Lana’s Nancy-Sinatra-on-drugs vibe and this song is the perfect representation of her work: old school vocals and lyrics with a new wave twist.

8. A Vicious Kind – Yellowcard: I forgot Yellowcard’s 2012 Album “Southern Air” when comprising my top 10 albums list, but it’s perfect pop-punk. If this song doesn’t get you hyped up, nothing will.

7. Only You – Ellie Goulding: One of my favorites from Ellie’s new album. Haunting, but upbeat, this track has it all.

6. Victoria – Eve 6: If you haven’t noticed yet, this list is a little biased towards upbeat, catchy, and lyrically sound songs. Here’s another with more of a rock edge.

5. Birthday Song – 2 Chainz ft. Kanye West: It’s fun, it’s funny, and it’s one of the best songs to rap to when you’re driving around.

4. I Will Fall – Sam Palladio and Clare Bowen: To be fair this is from the TV show Nashville so it’s a song from a soundtrack, but it’s an incredible track. This isn’t like some other track from Glee though. It’s a soulful and beautiful sung, definitely worth a listen – as is the rest of the show’s soundtrack.

3. Some Nights – fun.: Aside from it being overplayed on the radio, I’ve been listening to this song since fun.’s album was released last February, and I’m STILL not sick of it. There’s no denying it’s one of the best of the year.

2. Breathing Underwater – Metric: Pop-electronic music that actually makes you feel something? Sign me up. Metric has been a favorite of mine for a while, and their new album was one that defined my summer, their tracks being the backdrop for more than a few great nights with my friends.

1. Take a Walk – Passion Pit: I can’t help but turn the volume all the way up whenever this song comes on in my car. You can dance to it, you can sing along with it, and you can never, ever get sick of it.

Alexa Hoyle can be reached for comment at ahoyle@student.umass.edu.