VIDEO: UMass United Ralley in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

Top 10 songs of 2012

Courtesy of Flickr.com/aktivioslo

Picking 10 great songs from 2012 is a lot harder than you’d think. There has been so much great music this year, but here are my picks from a sampling of genres. My favorites are ever-changing but here are some of the ones I haven’t gotten sick of yet…

10. Outlines – All Time Low: This is a band I was way into in my early high school years, but kind of grew out of – until now. This phenomenally written track with guest vocals by the ever-talented Jason Vena creates such a jam.

9. Off to the Races – Lana Del Rey: I love Lana’s Nancy-Sinatra-on-drugs vibe and this song is the perfect representation of her work: old school vocals and lyrics with a new wave twist.

8. A Vicious Kind – Yellowcard: I forgot Yellowcard’s 2012 Album “Southern Air” when comprising my top 10 albums list, but it’s perfect pop-punk. If this song doesn’t get you hyped up, nothing will.

7. Only You – Ellie Goulding: One of my favorites from Ellie’s new album. Haunting, but upbeat, this track has it all.

6. Victoria – Eve 6: If you haven’t noticed yet, this list is a little biased towards upbeat, catchy, and lyrically sound songs. Here’s another with more of a rock edge.

5. Birthday Song – 2 Chainz ft. Kanye West: It’s fun, it’s funny, and it’s one of the best songs to rap to when you’re driving around.

4. I Will Fall – Sam Palladio and Clare Bowen: To be fair this is from the TV show Nashville so it’s a song from a soundtrack, but it’s an incredible track. This isn’t like some other track from Glee though. It’s a soulful and beautiful sung, definitely worth a listen – as is the rest of the show’s soundtrack.

3. Some Nights – fun.: Aside from it being overplayed on the radio, I’ve been listening to this song since fun.’s album was released last February, and I’m STILL not sick of it. There’s no denying it’s one of the best of the year.

2. Breathing Underwater – Metric: Pop-electronic music that actually makes you feel something? Sign me up. Metric has been a favorite of mine for a while, and their new album was one that defined my summer, their tracks being the backdrop for more than a few great nights with my friends.

1. Take a Walk – Passion Pit: I can’t help but turn the volume all the way up whenever this song comes on in my car. You can dance to it, you can sing along with it, and you can never, ever get sick of it.

Alexa Hoyle can be reached for comment at ahoyle@student.umass.edu.