Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Many motor vehicle violations in Amherst this weekend

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

Most of the weekend activity for the Amherst Police Department was on the road, with a spike in motor vehicle stops from recent weekends.

However student misbehavior off-campus stayed the same as Detective David Foster of the APD called it “typical.”

“It doesn’t look bad, it looks pretty typical for it being so cold,” he said of the weekend’s dispatch log.

Foster said he did not expect the upcoming weekend– the last before finals week– to be out of the ordinary, and that there would be likely less incidents than most weekends.

“Typically everyone tends to buckle down,” Foster said.

Pedro Leyton, 23, of Florence, was stopped by police at 28 Mill Lane in a grey 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue around 9:30 p.m. Friday. He was arrested on charges of speeding and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.

Three hours later, Shane Bowen, 21, of Northampton, was stopped by police after allegedly making an illegal turn onto Hallock St. in a brown 2003 Chevy Impala, which had flat front tires, according to Foster. Bowen was arrested on charges of operating under the influence of alcohol, negligent operation of a motor vehicle to endanger, failing to dim headlights and ticketed for failing to use care and stop his vehicle.

Around 1:27 a.m., police received a call for an assault at Bangs Community Center located at 70 Boltwood Walk in which a male in an alley was allegedly pushed and kicked after interacting with a group of passing individuals, who “ran away” Foster said. The male had been calling out to passersby, Foster said.

Ralph Reed, 48, of Amherst, was arrested around 4:36 p.m. at A.J. Hastings located at 45 South Pleasant St. on the charge of disorderly conduct after “yelling at people in the store,” Foster said, adding that Reed was later transported to Cooley Dickinson Hospital for medical treatment.

Joshua Quinn, 20, of Elmsford, N.Y. was arrested 1:19 a.m. Sunday on charges of operating under the influence of alcohol, speeding, possession of an open container of alcohol in a vehicle and being a minor in possession of alcohol after being stopped in a grey 2009 Nissan Titan by police in the vicinity of 50 Meadow St.

Christopher Phann, 20, of Lowell, was stopped around 2:26 a.m. by police near Paradise of India at 87 Main St. after allegedly failing to stop at a red light, Foster said. Phann was arrested on the charges of failing to stop at a stop sign, operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol and not being in possession of a license.

Police received a call for suspicious activity at 992 East Pleasant St. around 2:47 a.m.

An individual allegedly “knocked on the wrong door” to the house, told the resident not to call the police and “ran to the back of the property,” Foster said. Leonard Schwartz, 20, of Portland, Maine, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Michelle Buonasaro, 22, of Norwood, was arrested on charges of operating under the influence of alcohol and failing to stop at a stoplight around 3:12 a.m. in the vicinity of Fort River School located at 70 South East St. She allegedly drove through a red light in a black 2000 Pontiac Grand Am.

Larceny was reported to police around 7:57 p.m. at Captain Video located at 19 Montague Road. Foster said DVDs had been stolen from the store and that the case was still under investigation as of Monday morning.

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu.