Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse aims another perfect conference record against Duquesne -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass heads home to take on Albany -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coming off weekend victory, UMass softball prepares for series against St. Josephs -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

‘The Last Man on Earth?’ more like, ‘The Worst Show on Earth’ -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A new face for money -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass hopes to carry momentum into weekend series against VCU -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass Theatre Guild to present “Seussical” this weekend -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UMass eyes the future of its athletics with the hiring of Athletic Director Ryan Bamford -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Derrick Gordon to transfer from UMass in search of more prominent role -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Local author and activist Don Ogden writes to make environmental change -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chiarelli: Football the center of attention Tuesday at Bamford’s hiring -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

MANNA soup kitchen continues to feed the local hungry in Northampton -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Dash & Dine race raises funds for Amherst Survival Center -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Letter: SGA to the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor, and Auxiliary Services -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Many motor vehicle violations in Amherst this weekend

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

Most of the weekend activity for the Amherst Police Department was on the road, with a spike in motor vehicle stops from recent weekends.

However student misbehavior off-campus stayed the same as Detective David Foster of the APD called it “typical.”

“It doesn’t look bad, it looks pretty typical for it being so cold,” he said of the weekend’s dispatch log.

Foster said he did not expect the upcoming weekend– the last before finals week– to be out of the ordinary, and that there would be likely less incidents than most weekends.

“Typically everyone tends to buckle down,” Foster said.

Pedro Leyton, 23, of Florence, was stopped by police at 28 Mill Lane in a grey 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue around 9:30 p.m. Friday. He was arrested on charges of speeding and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.

Three hours later, Shane Bowen, 21, of Northampton, was stopped by police after allegedly making an illegal turn onto Hallock St. in a brown 2003 Chevy Impala, which had flat front tires, according to Foster. Bowen was arrested on charges of operating under the influence of alcohol, negligent operation of a motor vehicle to endanger, failing to dim headlights and ticketed for failing to use care and stop his vehicle.

Around 1:27 a.m., police received a call for an assault at Bangs Community Center located at 70 Boltwood Walk in which a male in an alley was allegedly pushed and kicked after interacting with a group of passing individuals, who “ran away” Foster said. The male had been calling out to passersby, Foster said.

Ralph Reed, 48, of Amherst, was arrested around 4:36 p.m. at A.J. Hastings located at 45 South Pleasant St. on the charge of disorderly conduct after “yelling at people in the store,” Foster said, adding that Reed was later transported to Cooley Dickinson Hospital for medical treatment.

Joshua Quinn, 20, of Elmsford, N.Y. was arrested 1:19 a.m. Sunday on charges of operating under the influence of alcohol, speeding, possession of an open container of alcohol in a vehicle and being a minor in possession of alcohol after being stopped in a grey 2009 Nissan Titan by police in the vicinity of 50 Meadow St.

Christopher Phann, 20, of Lowell, was stopped around 2:26 a.m. by police near Paradise of India at 87 Main St. after allegedly failing to stop at a red light, Foster said. Phann was arrested on the charges of failing to stop at a stop sign, operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol and not being in possession of a license.

Police received a call for suspicious activity at 992 East Pleasant St. around 2:47 a.m.

An individual allegedly “knocked on the wrong door” to the house, told the resident not to call the police and “ran to the back of the property,” Foster said. Leonard Schwartz, 20, of Portland, Maine, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Michelle Buonasaro, 22, of Norwood, was arrested on charges of operating under the influence of alcohol and failing to stop at a stoplight around 3:12 a.m. in the vicinity of Fort River School located at 70 South East St. She allegedly drove through a red light in a black 2000 Pontiac Grand Am.

Larceny was reported to police around 7:57 p.m. at Captain Video located at 19 Montague Road. Foster said DVDs had been stolen from the store and that the case was still under investigation as of Monday morning.

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu.