UMass student charged in connection with alleged involvement in racist vandalisms -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass student found dead in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Duolingo makes learning a language easier -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s swimming and diving falls to Army; women’s team gets revenge -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass field hockey gets back to .500 with win over BU Sunday -

Monday, October 20, 2014

‘Columbus Day’ demonstrates ignorant view of the past -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students for Justice in Palestine aims to spread awareness, not argue -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Mending fences: SGA and Amherst officials work together to improve town/gown relations -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer drops 5-0 decision to Saint Louis -

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Phablet continues to grow and maintain popularity -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dayton Flyers soar at Rudd Field, 4-1 over the Minutemen -

Sunday, October 19, 2014

UMass football’s Sharpe continues his banner season in 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Shadrach Abrokwah has career day in UMass football’s 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan. -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

UMass tops Eastern Michigan 36-14, puts together first FBS winning streak -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Mixed results for swimming and diving teams

Maria Uminski/Collegian

With the first half of the season concluding, the Massachusetts men’s swimming and diving team (1-4) was not able to finish strong in its meet, falling to Yale, 213-87, on Saturday.

Coach Russ Yarworth told UMassAthletics.com, “We certainly gave a lot of effort but the performance wasn’t quite what we needed to keep up with Yale today. Yale was very prepared for the meet so hats off to them.”

Senior Alexander Merkulov was the standout for the Minutemen, taking first place on the diving boards in the one-meter event with a score of 297.59, and the three-meter event with a score of 329.70.

With these victories, Merkulov, a Westfield native, earned a total of 18 points for the team.

When asked about leading the team, Merkulov discussed how he’s progressed.

“It’s great,” Merkulov said. “I mean I came in as a freshman being like the worst one on the squad and just improved over the years.”

Teammate Josh Koppel remained in the top three in both of his diving events, taking third place with scores of 257.55 in the one-meter and 266.03 in the third-meter.

Merkulov says he has a great relationship with Koppel and that he’s learned a thing or two

“We’re great friends,” Merkulov said. “He’s a freshman and I’m a senior. He kind of learns from me, and I get to teach him a few things.”

In the lanes, UMass senior Peter Sacco placed second in two races. He clocked in at 21.52 in the 50-yard freestyle and 46.80 in the 100-yard freestyle.

Sophomore Gabe Davis finished second in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 52.20.

The Minutemen even took the second spot in the 200-yard freestyle relay, finishing at 1:26.44.

With a month of training ahead of them, UMass will be in Puerto Rico on Jan. 5 for the Loyola Invitational and competing in the Rhode Island Invitational on Jan. 11.           

Judd and Smyth lead Minutewomen

With three individual wins, sophomore Zoe Judd earned a total of 27 points to propel the UMass women’s swimming and diving team (3–2) to a 158-142 win over Northeastern on Friday.

Judd won in the 50-yard, 100-yard and 200-yard freestyle swims, clocking in at 24.92, 53.36, and 1:54.76.

Teammates Amina Meho and Anna Cavanaugh finished behind Judd in the 100-yard freestyle event at 53.86 and 54.29.

Molly Smyth continued the momentum, finishing first in the 1000-yard freestyle with a record time of 10:25.23. Katie Orr followed her in second at 10:41.28.

The Minutewomen also placed in the 500-yard freestyle. Smyth touched the wall first at 5:08.07, while junior Anna Cavanaugh came in at 5:09.26 to take second.

In diving, UMass took the top three spots in the one-meter dive. Senior Michaela Butler took the top spot with a score of 277.27, Molly Elkins scored a 250.42 to take second and Rachel Dushman took third with a score of 222.89.

Butler came in first in the three-meter dive, coming in at 267.97.

The Minutewomen travel to Puerto Rico for a training trip and will be back in the pool Jan. 11 at the Rhode Island Invitational.

Kaitlin Boyer can be reached at krboyer@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Boyer.