Video monitoring equipment installed throughout Amherst in preparation for ‘Blarney’ -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tournament time: UMass women’s basketball faces St. Bonaventure in A-10 opener -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bread & Butter brings local produce to Amherst’s breakfast scene -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

‘Blarney’ guest policy is too harsh and was announced too late -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Esho and Lalanne ready for one final show at Mullins Center -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: March 3, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Minutewomen prepared for clash with Terriers

After earning a split in Ohio, the Massachusetts women’s basketball team will look to right its ship Wednesday night at Boston University.

Bryn Rothschild-Shea/Collegian

The Minutewomen (2-6) snapped their 5-game losing skid against Ohio Thursday afternoon, but came up short in a loss against Miami (Ohio) on Saturday. The Terriers (5-3) are coming off of a 66-49 home victory over No. 17 St. John’s.

However, Minutewomen coach Sharon Dawley is comfortable with her team’s preparation heading into Wednesday’s game.

“(Our team is) very prepared,” Dawley said. “We walked through all their man hits, we know exactly how we’re going to defend them. We know we are going to focus on and who we are going to slag off of for additional help. We’ll play multiple zones against them.”

Senior guard Dee Montgomery, whose leadership Dawley praised following the Minutewomen’s win over the Bobcats, echoed her coach’s sentiments.

“We’ve really focused on their sets, their key players, and defensively making sure we know what we need to do,” Montgomery said. “At the same time, we’re worried about us. We’re worried about our defense, making sure our rotations are right. We’re making sure we get what we want out of our sets, we get what we want in the shots that we want, and we make sure we don’t have any crazy turnovers that we’ve been having.”

As UMass inches its way towards Atlantic 10 play in January, both Dawley and Montgomery think there is more to come from the team.

Montgomery said the team has been playing better than their overall record shows.

“I think that our record doesn’t give our team justice right now,” Montgomery, a co-captain, said. “Right now we are on the bubble; we are there. We just haven’t had that click for us yet. We keep on the way we are going, we keep on playing the way we’re playing, we keep getting after it then we are going to find that stride.

“I think we are about to hit our stride going into conference play, which is what you want going into conference play.”

Both coach and captain agree that the team needs to finish off their easier chances.

“We need to do a better job securing loose balls, boxing out and we just got to make our (easy shots),” Dawley said. “This afternoon we broke down our last film and we gave over 40 points of (easy shots).

“The good news is that we could’ve had 70 points in that game if we made (easy shots). The bad news is we didn’t make those (easy shots),” she said.

Montgomery mirrored her coach’s sentiments, but has confidence that their shots will start to drop.

“Right now we just can’t put the ball in basket, unfortunately,” Montgomery said. “We’re getting all the looks we want. We’re doing all the layups, all the 3s, every look we want, all the sets we’re running. We’re getting what we want but we can’t, for some reason, convert.

“When you feel good, you go back, watch film and you see you are getting every shot you want but you just can’t put it in – that is something that can be easily fixed because as players we just have to put the time in at the gym,” she said.

Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. in Boston, and Dawley said her team is ready for the challenge.

Confident?

“Yes,” Dawley said.

Jeffrey Okerman can be reached at jokerman@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Okerman.