Arrest made after lewd acts on campus -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Suspect in custody after break-ins on Lincoln Avenue -

Thursday, August 28, 2014

UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

UMass forward Troy Power expected to miss extended time

Massachusetts hockey coach John Micheletto confirmed before practice on Tuesday that junior forward Troy Power is going to miss extensive time for a leg injury he suffered in Friday’s 1-0 loss to Northeastern after taking a knee-to-knee blow from the Huskies’ John Manson.

Nicole Evangelista/Collegian

Power was seen wearing a full leg brace before practice Tuesday afternoon, which had his entire leg locked. The injury is suspected to involve the knee, although it is not expected to be season-ending.

“Troy will be out for a while,” Micheletto said.

Filling in for Power on the second line with Michael Pereira and Branden Gracel in Saturday’s 6-3 win at Northeastern was freshman forward K.J. Tiefenwerth, who responded with a goal and two assists in the win, earning him Hockey East Rookie of the Week honors.

Based on what he saw on Saturday, Micheletto plans on keeping Tiefenwerth out on the ice with Pereira and Gracel when the Minutemen host Colgate on Friday.

“I liked the way they played,” Micheletto said of the combination. “I think K.J. upped his tempo a little bit on the smaller rink surface. He was very good with that line and I thought they were effective as a unit, so I wouldn’t anticipate that we shake things up right now.”

While being promoted to the second line was a boost to Tiefenwerth’s confidence, it certainly didn’t hurt his game playing on the same line as Pereira, whom he was also linemates with at Avon Old Farms Prep School in Connecticut.

“I think we play well together, we know each other’s game,” Tiefenwerth said. “(Pereira’s) more of a shooter, I’m more of a passer, so we complement each other’s game well.”

Tiefenwerth expects to see more ice time with his old prep school teammate based on their success last time out.

“Last weekend I think we had a good performance,” he said. “So I think we’re gonna play together until the guys that are injured come back, or we don’t play our game, but I expect to play with him.”

Rowe, Mastalerz recovering

Power was not the only UMass player to leave the game with an injury during Friday’s loss.

Senior defenseman Darren Rowe left in the first period Friday night after suffering what appeared to be an upper body injury.

Micheletto called Rowe’s injury a combination of the neck, shoulder and back, and he has yet to practice, although his status for this weekend “is possible but not probable,” he said.

Rowe’s “been doing conditioning off the ice with (trainer Jeff) Smith,” Micheletto said. “We’ll continue to address his progress and availability for the weekend.”

Sophomore goaltender Steve Mastalerz, on the other hand, was spotted out on the ice before practice on Tuesday doing some individual light stretching and Micheletto said he’s working his way back to full recovery from what is considered a lower body injury, although he’s uncertain of when that will be.

“He’s been hurt and on the shelf here, hasn’t practiced,” Micheletto said. “He skated with us for the first time (Monday) for the beginning part of practice. He’s been on the ice doing individual stuff and taking light shots on his own for several days proceeding that, so when he’s back to full-go I don’t know.”

Mastalerz hasn’t been in the lineup since Nov. 18 when the Minutemen lost to UMass Lowell 8-2, which is when he was believed to have suffered the injury.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.