UMass football promotes Liam Coen, Spencer Whipple to co-passing game coordinators -

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Jill Stein speaks at “Climate Silence” protest

Flickr/JTuruc

Despite the fresh coat of snow that glazed the Amherst Green, an estimated 200 people – including 2012 Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein – gathered Saturday to protest what they called “climate silence.”

The event focused on protesters’ desire to end fossil fuel subsidies and mitigate the production of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide, which many scientists believe are already changing the Earth’s climate at alarming rates.

Attendees chanted “fossil fuels are subsidized – it’s time for us to mobilize.”

Demonstrators came and went, causing the size of the crowd to differ at times, though it is estimated that as many as 200 people attended the rally.

The event kicked off at 2 p.m. and included a number of student speakers as well as musical performances. The most anticipated speech of the afternoon was Stein’s.

“You are breaking the stranglehold of not only the fossil fuels, but the fossil fuel politics as well,” Stein told the crowd of green activists during her speech.

She also praised the efforts of the many college students who made the event happen.

“I think for the Five Colleges to be coming together as you are today is exactly the model of what we need to be doing,” Stein said. “No one has greater moral authority than what you have.”

The crowd grew steadily as students, professors and other concerned citizens continued to arrive, showing their support for the green movement with homemade signs and slogans.

Event organizer and Hampshire College student Tika Lifton-Herman addressed the crowd with what she called the rally’s mission statement.

“The silence and complacency that is currently prevailing in our political, academic and public discourses is being directly funded by the very corporate interests that are violating our environment and our future,” she said.

Lifton-Herman believes that climate change is the most important issue currently facing humanity, and said that she thinks corporate lobbying of the government and media is a major barrier that the green movement faces in its attempts to spread awareness about climate change.

“It is something that is being completely silenced by the hegemony and the money that is ruling our society right now,” Lifton-Herman said in an interview shortly after delivering her speech to the crowd.

Many attendees signed petitions that were being promoted by the event organizers. One of those petitions will be sent to Massachusetts Sen.-elect Elizabeth Warren, urging her to work toward ending the subsidies being given to fossil fuel companies.

Another petition urged the Five College Consortium into stopping its use of fossil fuels.

Students who attended the rally were widely receptive of the messages being delivered, and some had hopes that their participation in the event would spark broader interest across the nation.

“The way these rallies work is, one college starts stuff and other colleges pick up on it,” said Tyler Mikkelson, a first-year student who is studying film at Hampshire College. “There are people who know about climate change and try to push it away as if there’s nothing going on. I think it’s only right for us to come out here and work to end the silence.”

Chris Trubac can be reached at ctrubac@student.umass.edu.