UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

New $130,000 boathouse to be built for UMass women’s rowing

Flickr/pecooper98362

The boathouse that Massachusetts women’s rowing coach Jim Dietz has long been waiting for is finally coming.
UMass announced on Wednesday that construction has begun for a new boathouse facility that will be the first permanent home for the women’s rowing team since it became a varsity sport in 1995.

The building, which will be located on the Connecticut River next to the Calvin Coolidge Bridge, will cost $130,000, according to UMass Athletics spokesman John Sinnett. The University is partnering with Sportsman Marina, based out of Hadley, for a five-year lease of the boathouse.

The facility is expected to be completed in June 2013, and an opening ceremony will be held on Sept. 8, 2013, at the site.

“The completion of this building will be the single most significant event in the history of UMass rowing,” Dietz said in a University release. “The boathouse will solidify the commitment this university has made to the success of our rowing program. It will help in our recruiting effort as well giving us a gathering point for our many distinguished alumni.”

The facility will feature several necessary components for the team, which include three bays to store and maintain boats as well as team rooms, showers, changing areas and enough storage space to hold the team’s equipment, according to the release. The size of the boathouse is approximately 72 by 80 feet, which will also allow enough space to make boat repairs and for the team to participate in workouts.

In early February 2011, 13 of the team’s boats were destroyed when, during a winter of record snowfall, approximately four feet of snow and ice that had accumulated on the roof of the team’s boathouse collapsed and cost the program about $175,000, with each boat costing between $10,000 and $30,000.

The surviving boats were then stored in trailers under McGuirk Alumni Stadium. Dietz, who has been coaching the team for 18 seasons, said at the time that he would be surprised if he saw another boathouse built before he retired. Plans for building one had been in talks for several years, but nothing had been put into action, until now.

“We are extremely pleased that we have been able to make this much needed facility a reality,” UMass Director of Athletics John McCutcheon said in the release. “This will be a wonderful asset for our women’s rowing program and I cannot thank enough those who have worked so hard for so long to make this happen.”

The new boathouse is the latest facility upgrade at UMass on a list that is full of recent ones, which have included enhancements to McGuirk Alumni Stadium, Elaine Sortino Field and Garber Field, as well as brand new facilities for the track and field complex and Student Recreation Center.

The Minutewomen, who recently finished their 2012 fall campaign, will be back in the water on March 23, 2013, when they take a short trip to Northampton to face the Coast Guard to kick off the spring campaign. UMass will be seeking its 14th Atlantic 10 championship.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.

You must be logged in to post a comment.