UMass athletic director John McCutcheon to take job at UCSB -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass encourages responsible celebrating, modifies guest policy ahead of Super Bowl -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball returns home to Mullins Center with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Microsoft introduces Windows 10, Codename Spartan and the HoloLens -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cheap gas, a speed bump for the planet -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friday night a chance at redemption for UMass hockey -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beautiful focuses on body image and loving oneself -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Minutewomen set to redeem themselves against the Bonnies -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball seeks more consistency out of its veterans -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass hockey hopes to ride momentum into Friday’s matchup against Boston University -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tips for maintain and transitioning to a healthier lifestyle -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

MASSPIRG urges McDonalds to stop purchasing meat raised with antibiotics -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to avoid, treat and prevent Computer Vision Syndrome as a college student -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Obama and Modi strengthen ties between U.S. and India -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass receives research honor from the Carnegie Foundation -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Islamophobia is a form of racism that needs to be stopped -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Björk gets personal on breakup album, ‘Vulnicura’ -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass Dining nominated for Seafood Champion Award -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Why UMass basketball isn’t a good brand of basketball -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

BLOG: Joseph Widmar commits to UMass hockey -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Coffee sales go up during finals week

Maria Uminski/Collegian

As finals approach and students start to hunker down in front of glowing computer screens, coffee sales are going up on campus.

“Coffee sales go up about 40 to 50 percent during exam week,” said Van Sullivan, the assistant retail dining manager at the University of Massachusetts.

The hot spot for coffee sales at the University is the library’s newly renovated Procrastination Station, where sales went up dramatically over the past week, according to Sullivan.

“Monday of this week, there were more than 2,200 (customers) at the library, that’s more than Blue Wall … I’d like to say that we could do 2,500 to 3,000 a day next week,” Sullivan said, who has hired seasonal staff to meet the demand.

The old café averaged roughly 800 to 1,000 customers, according to Sullivan. He noted that the renovations boosted that number to 1,500. Coffee is available at other locations on campus such as the Blue Wall and at the dining commons.

The stress of finals weeks can bring even non-coffee drinkers to the dark side in an effort to stay awake just a little longer.

Emma Lagreze, a communications and marketing major, said that she usually doesn’t drink coffee, but during finals week she makes an exception.

“Definitely during finals,” she said. “Probably two cups a day, but normally I don’t drink any.”

Biology major Kamille Sobolewski has a similar relationship with coffee.

“I don’t usually (drink coffee),” Soboleweski said. “I just (it) do because it helps me focus.”

According to a study done by the Behavioral Biology Research Center at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 2003, when used in moderation coffee can produce the effects desired by students like Sobolewski and Lagreze. The study showed that caffeinated beverages can make the drinker experience “increased well-being, happiness, energetic arousal, alertness and sociability.”

However, when used excessively, even in the short-term, the study showed that caffeinated beverages can produce negative effects such as “anxiety, nervousness, jitteriness and upset stomach.”

In addition, the study showed that if an individual forms a dependence, caffeine consumption can induce anxiety and panic attacks, disrupt sleep cycles and cause various withdrawal systems including headaches, fatigue, drowsiness, decreased motivation, irritability and depression.

The increase in sales appears to be an on-campus phenomenon. Christiana McDougal, an employee at Amherst Coffee, said that she did not see in an increase in the number of people frequenting the shop during finals.

“I think it’s more that there’s not people coming in and out, but staying for longer periods of time,” McDougal said.

Amherst Coffee doesn’t hire more people or do anything to prepare for the finals induced caffeine craze, but they do notice a difference in their customers.

There “is more of an awareness,” McDougal said. “You can sense the tension a lot.”

Katie Landeck can be reached at klandeck@student.umass.edu. Alexandra Graziano can be reached at agrazian@student.umass.edu.

3 Responses to “Coffee sales go up during finals week”
  1. john trumbull says:

Is the “procrastination station” the official name for the library’s cafe or just a nickname? I’d love to know, and in either case, I love the name!

2. Brian says:

Great story

3. I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this website. Reading this information So i am satisfied to express that I have a very just right uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I such a lot undoubtedly will make certain to do not forget this website and give it a glance regularly.