Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Committee to evaluate finances of football program next week

Maria Uminski/Collegian

A committee formed to assess the costs associated with the football program’s move to the Football Bowl Subdivision will present a report to the University’s Faculty Senate next week evaluating the program’s budget from its inaugural season in the league.

The committee — which is composed of 19 members representing the faculty, administration and student body — was established by the Faculty Senate in December of last year with the aim of regularly reviewing the program’s finances. The report presented at next week’s meeting will be the first one issued by the committee since its formation.

Preliminary figures compiled by the athletic department from this past season – which was the program’s first in the league – show that expenses associated with the program totaled $7,160,339 while revenue streams, which include funding from the state and University, came in at $6,445,271. That means that the program is currently carrying a $715,068 deficit – a figure that Athletic Director John McCutcheon has largely attributed to a lag in ticket sales at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, the team’s home field.

The football program’s decision to jump to the FBS in the Mid-American Conference has drawn fire from some faculty members — who have contended that it’s a move that will require more University funding for the program — since it was announced in April of 2011. The program, which had a 1-11 record this past season, was previously a member of the Football Championship Subdivision in the Colonial Athletic Association.

The full report by the committee will be presented to the Faculty Senate Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. in Herter 227.

2 Responses to “Committee to evaluate finances of football program next week”
  1. Dr. Ed Cutting says:

No. Expenses from the football program actually totaled $14,320,678 — not $7,160,339 because Title IX requires that for every dollar you spend on men’s athletics, you must also spend a dollar on female athletics.

Even if the football program was self-supporting and it raised the entire $7M itself (and actually did so, without cost-shifting to make it just look that way), there still would be the need to come up with the other $7M for the girls.

THAT is the money that is going to cause the problem, and everyone involved — the football people, the women’s sports people — everyone would like to have us overlook this.

2. JK says:

“Revenue” from the university and from the state is not real revenue. It’s a subsidy.

To understand how much football is actually costing, “revenue” cannot include funding from the state and from UMass.

Can the Collegian find out how much the football program actually took in from real revenue, like from ticket sales, NOT INCLUDING the handouts from UMass and from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts?