Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

UMass Sisters on the Runway to host “Kick it With Sisters” this Saturday

The University of Massachusetts will be working up a sweat to raise awareness and money for those affected by domestic violence during “Kick it With Sisters,” a Sisters on the Runway benefit event this Saturday from 3 to 5 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom.

According to a press release, “Kick it With Sisters” will feature a kickboxing class instructed by UMass senior Eliza Shirazi to benefit Safe Passage, a women’s shelter in Northampton.

UMass Sisters on the Runway co-presidents Christine Cummings and Kelsey Stokes said the event is expected to attract over 150 people and sell out.

“We chose a kick-a-thon because it is a new, fun way to raise awareness by physically being involved with the cause,” Stokes said. “Kickboxing is an empowering sport, and as an (Registered Student Organization) we want to empower students to fight against domestic violence.”

Shirazi, a kickboxing instructor at the UMass Recreation Center, said “Kick it With Sisters” will be her third “kick-a-thon.”

In 2010, Shirazi held “Kick it for Haiti” in support of the Haiti Relief Fund for the American Red Cross. Last October she continued with “Kick the Cancer,” benefiting the American Cancer Society. Both fundraisers made about $600 for each charity, she said.

According to the organization’s Campus Pulse Page, UMass Sisters on the Runway is currently the third chapter of the national organization, which originally was founded in Montclair, N.J.,  in 2005 to raise funds and awareness for women and children affected by domestic violence. The UMass chapter has over 300 members and has been an RSO since 2010.

“Kick it With Sisters” tickets will be available for $10 in the Resource Room of the Student Union until Saturday. On the day of the event, tickets will be sold at the door at 2:30 p.m., Stokes said.

“It’s a really fun way to raise awareness and funds for a great cause,” Stokes said.

Stokes said t-shirts will also be on sale for $12, adding that the first 100 participants will receive a free purple bandana.

Jaclyn Bryson can be reached at jbryson@student.umass.edu.