UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UMass Sisters on the Runway to host “Kick it With Sisters” this Saturday

The University of Massachusetts will be working up a sweat to raise awareness and money for those affected by domestic violence during “Kick it With Sisters,” a Sisters on the Runway benefit event this Saturday from 3 to 5 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom.

According to a press release, “Kick it With Sisters” will feature a kickboxing class instructed by UMass senior Eliza Shirazi to benefit Safe Passage, a women’s shelter in Northampton.

UMass Sisters on the Runway co-presidents Christine Cummings and Kelsey Stokes said the event is expected to attract over 150 people and sell out.

“We chose a kick-a-thon because it is a new, fun way to raise awareness by physically being involved with the cause,” Stokes said. “Kickboxing is an empowering sport, and as an (Registered Student Organization) we want to empower students to fight against domestic violence.”

Shirazi, a kickboxing instructor at the UMass Recreation Center, said “Kick it With Sisters” will be her third “kick-a-thon.”

In 2010, Shirazi held “Kick it for Haiti” in support of the Haiti Relief Fund for the American Red Cross. Last October she continued with “Kick the Cancer,” benefiting the American Cancer Society. Both fundraisers made about $600 for each charity, she said.

According to the organization’s Campus Pulse Page, UMass Sisters on the Runway is currently the third chapter of the national organization, which originally was founded in Montclair, N.J.,  in 2005 to raise funds and awareness for women and children affected by domestic violence. The UMass chapter has over 300 members and has been an RSO since 2010.

“Kick it With Sisters” tickets will be available for $10 in the Resource Room of the Student Union until Saturday. On the day of the event, tickets will be sold at the door at 2:30 p.m., Stokes said.

“It’s a really fun way to raise awareness and funds for a great cause,” Stokes said.

Stokes said t-shirts will also be on sale for $12, adding that the first 100 participants will receive a free purple bandana.

Jaclyn Bryson can be reached at jbryson@student.umass.edu.