UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

UMass Sisters on the Runway to host “Kick it With Sisters” this Saturday

The University of Massachusetts will be working up a sweat to raise awareness and money for those affected by domestic violence during “Kick it With Sisters,” a Sisters on the Runway benefit event this Saturday from 3 to 5 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom.

According to a press release, “Kick it With Sisters” will feature a kickboxing class instructed by UMass senior Eliza Shirazi to benefit Safe Passage, a women’s shelter in Northampton.

UMass Sisters on the Runway co-presidents Christine Cummings and Kelsey Stokes said the event is expected to attract over 150 people and sell out.

“We chose a kick-a-thon because it is a new, fun way to raise awareness by physically being involved with the cause,” Stokes said. “Kickboxing is an empowering sport, and as an (Registered Student Organization) we want to empower students to fight against domestic violence.”

Shirazi, a kickboxing instructor at the UMass Recreation Center, said “Kick it With Sisters” will be her third “kick-a-thon.”

In 2010, Shirazi held “Kick it for Haiti” in support of the Haiti Relief Fund for the American Red Cross. Last October she continued with “Kick the Cancer,” benefiting the American Cancer Society. Both fundraisers made about $600 for each charity, she said.

According to the organization’s Campus Pulse Page, UMass Sisters on the Runway is currently the third chapter of the national organization, which originally was founded in Montclair, N.J.,  in 2005 to raise funds and awareness for women and children affected by domestic violence. The UMass chapter has over 300 members and has been an RSO since 2010.

“Kick it With Sisters” tickets will be available for $10 in the Resource Room of the Student Union until Saturday. On the day of the event, tickets will be sold at the door at 2:30 p.m., Stokes said.

“It’s a really fun way to raise awareness and funds for a great cause,” Stokes said.

Stokes said t-shirts will also be on sale for $12, adding that the first 100 participants will receive a free purple bandana.

Jaclyn Bryson can be reached at jbryson@student.umass.edu.