Dear Chancellor: Fund dilapidated arts classrooms -

Monday, September 15, 2014

New Journalism Chair Kathy Roberts Forde finds home at UMass -

Monday, September 15, 2014

Fast food striker’s right to demand stake in ‘American dream’ -

Monday, September 15, 2014

UMass men’s soccer shut out by Boston University in rain-soaked matchup -

Monday, September 15, 2014

UMass field hockey gets much needed win on Sunday vs. UMass Lowell -

Monday, September 15, 2014

UMass men’s and women’s cross country opens season with middling finishes -

Monday, September 15, 2014

UMass to continue proud tradition with new renewable energy position -

Monday, September 15, 2014

Uber: A better deal for area students -

Monday, September 15, 2014

UMass field hockey loses 2-1 to California on Friday -

Monday, September 15, 2014

University panel brings understanding to the term ‘hooking up’ -

Monday, September 15, 2014

UMass women’s soccer falters at UConn -

Monday, September 15, 2014

Dr. Vijay Prashad speaks at UMass on capitalism and global inequality -

Monday, September 15, 2014

Minutewomen offensive struggles continue in a 2-1 loss vs. California -

Sunday, September 14, 2014

UMass football falls to Vanderbilt 34-31 in crushing fashion -

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Sept. 8, 2014 -

Friday, September 12, 2014

“She was a happy person and she exuded that happiness onto everyone around her” -

Thursday, September 11, 2014

UMass football prepares for Southeastern Conference opponent in first road game of the season. -

Thursday, September 11, 2014

‘Calvary’ laces optimism with incredibly dark comedy -

Thursday, September 11, 2014

There is no such thing as ‘reverse racism’ -

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Michael Fassbender shines in eccentric, disarming ‘Frank’ -

Thursday, September 11, 2014

UMass hockey lets one get away in third period

For two periods, Massachusetts hockey goaltender Kevin Boyle looked like he had rebounded well from a Friday night performance in which he conceded six goals.

Nicole Evangelista/Collegian

But then the third period happened.

Colgate (9-7-2) put four goals past the sophomore in the final frame en route to a 5-2 win over UMass (5-8-2) in front of 2,720 fans at the Mullins Center Saturday night.

The first of the four goals came four minutes, 39 seconds into the third period when the Raiders’ Kurtis Bartliff shot one that trickled through Boyle’s legs and into the back of the net, tying the game up at 2-2.

“We let a goal in, in the first four minutes that shouldn’t have gone in,” Minuteman coach John Micheletto said. “And it impacted the way that we continued to play.”

Colgate struck again at the 10:00 mark on a power play goal by Tyson Spink.

Spink’s goal came after UMass’ Joel Hanley was sent to the penalty box for elbowing. Micheletto did not agree with the call.

“I thought that was a very curious call on Joel Hanley,” Micheletto said, “the only power play given in the entire third period, oddly enough for the fourth power play opportunity for them to match the fourth power play opportunity that we had. It looked like a clean hit from a defenseman with his hands and elbows tucked on a Colgate player who was cutting across the middle.

“That was an influential call at that point in the game. We did not react very well. So the call itself is one thing, how we handle it and execute from that point on, (is) completely different. So, that one’s on us.”

The Raiders added two more goals after the debated penalty later in the third period on goals by Billy Rivellini and Bartliff, which was his second of the game.

“I was pleased with our effort tonight,” Raiders coach Don Vaughan said. “I thought we got better as the game went on. Aside from the goals in the third, I still thought it was our best period. A couple of guys that I called last night, I thought responded very well.”

UMass struck first in the game on a power play goal by junior forward Adam Phillips at the 6:06 in the first period. Both Conor Allen and Michael Pereira were credited with assists on the goal.

It was the third straight game that Phillips has scored a goal. He had gone the previous 30 games without one before the Minutemen’s 6-3 win last Saturday at Northeastern.

Colgate came back with a score of its own less than two minutes later when Kyle Baun scored his seventh goal of the season and his third in two games against UMass at the 7:55 mark.

UMass took the lead back at the 12:41 mark in the first, when Branden Gracel slammed home a rebound off of a shot by teammate Kevin Czepiel in front of the goal. Czepiel’s original shot deflected off of Colgate goalie Spencer Finney’s stick and right to Gracel, who finished from there.

Finney finished with 31 saves on the night, while Boyle made 18.

The Minutemen outshot the Raiders 33-22 overall, but Colgate owned a 10-7 advantage in the third period.

UMass will have little time to shake off the disappointment of two losses this weekend, as it will travel to No. 15 Yale on Tuesday.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_McDonough.