Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Ten things I wish I knew before freshman year

flickr/dailycollegian

Here are just a few things I learned during my freshman year that I wish someone told me:

1.)  As glad as I was to have the award-winning “UMass Dining,” your college diet will most likely consist of tons of caffeine and a lot of ramen/or your choice of midnight snack, which you probably should not be eating in the first place. Regardless of how many different things I ate at the infamous Berkshire, the food eventually did get old. There is nothing like a home cooked meal, so cherish it while you can!

2.)  College actually is different! Creating a schedule and sticking to it isn’t as easy as it seems, but you should try to do it anyway; it’ll only benefit you in the long run. Get used to studying for a couple of hours a day/week where you finish your homework/review class material. It will save future-you sleep and the money you spend on carbonated caffeine drinks to help you cram.

3.)  Get to know people, but you don’t have to rush to meet everyone all at once. Let’s face it – you are away from home and are looking to make all the friends you can. But truth be told, that group of 40 kids that you used to go out with during Freshman Orientation won’t last all year (let alone all semester) and you might as well take some time and find true friends that will last.

4.)  It is a sad, but true reality that you (or someone else) are now paying for school. Go to class.

5.)  It’s okay to eat alone. After orientation weekend, you will probably need some down time anyway.  This is not high school where your social standing depends on where you sit in the dining hall.

6.)  I know it may seem like you have to go out every Thursday-Saturday. And at first, you might even go out all three nights and go crazy. Just remember that it is okay to kick back and relax once in a while. This is cheesy but you want to give yourself time to relax and do other things besides trying to piece together the night before.

7.)  Call your parents. Enough said.

8.)  Your friends at the beginning of the semester might not be your friends at the end of the semester. It’s okay; don’t waste time trying to maintain relationships with everyone you ever met at UMass.

9.)  Don’t be the annoying person that leaves his/her clothes in the washing machine or dryer even when they are done being washed or dried. Pick up your laundry on time. Other people will throw your now clean clothes on the floor so they can use the facilities.

10.) Play hard, but work harder. But make sure you do both. Going out night after night can get just as boring as studying for hours straight. Remember, life doesn’t happen in your dorm room, it happens in someone else’s!

Purti Pareek can be reached at ppareek@student.umass.edu.