Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The dos and don’ts of the UMass recreation center

flickr/dailycollegian

Okay, let me preface this by saying that I am in no way a gym buff. I don’t like the idea of walking down to the Rec Center to work out and then having to walk back up to my dorm afterwards. It’s just not an ideal way to spend my day. But I’ve been bombarded with enough media, health classes and lectures from my parents to know that going to the gym is key to a healthy lifestyle. So when I’m motivated enough, which isn’t as regular as it should be, I get off my lazy butt, throw on some sneakers and make my way over to get my daily intake of 60 minutes of physical activity…okay monthly intake of 45 minutes of physical activity.

The other day I was quite proud of myself. I wore my gym clothes to class, packed a water bottle and made sure my iPod was fully charged. I got on the treadmill to run, and because it would be the first time in seven months that I ran, I decided to start slow by going a walking pace…can’t overexert yourself too quickly you know. At this point it was about 11:00 in the morning so obviously the Rec Center was completely empty; all but five treadmills were available.

As I started to get my rhythm by walking I began to think about increasing my speed sometime in the near future. All of a sudden some girl who thinks she owns the place picked the treadmill right next to mine and starts off with a running pace. Like, really? There are literally open treadmills as far as the eye can see and you pick the one next to me and go twice as fast as my pace? Not cool. Let’s have some gym decorum please. If you’re confused as to what is and is not acceptable to do at the Rec Center check out these tips:

1)  If you’re using a weight machine do not sit on it for 20 minutes in between your sets. We get it. You’re so strong and are exerting so much effort you need time to break and blah-blah-blah. Lift your weights and move on.

2)  If I’m at the gym working out on the elliptical or the treadmill or whatever cardio machine is open…don’t talk to me. It should be apparent by my red face, sweat stains and earbuds in that I’m dying. It’s probably my first gym trip in a month so don’t make it harder for me or prolong the process to have a nice chat. Save it for the water fountain line.

3)  Speaking of the water fountain, let’s abide by the three to five second rule when there’s a line. If someone’s behind you waiting for a drink and you’re guzzling down the water supply, move out of the way. Either get back in line or bring a water bottle.

4)  Finally, if you’re in the locker room and see a random person changing, under no circumstances should you choose the locker next to them. Why would you do that? There are upwards of 500 lockers and you just made the situation awkward.

Follow these tips and we can all get through our workouts with only the irritation of having just worked out.

Ali Strand can be reached at ahstrand@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “The dos and don’ts of the UMass recreation center”
  1. mason says:

The gym is full of awkward moments and although people can spend alot of time on machines, they are almost always happy to let you use the machine inbetween sets.

You must be logged in to post a comment.