Micheletto apologizes to fans, aims to regroup following 11-1 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Vermont throttles UMass hockey 11-1 -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass guard Trey Davis: ‘There’s a lot coming at me right now’ -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass ‘big four’ neutralized by Notre Dame in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass basketball can’t corral Grant, Irish in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Frustration haunts Minutemen in 5-3 loss to Boston College -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey drops 5-3 decision to No. 12 Boston College Friday night -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey prepares for nationally ranked Hockey East foes BC, Vermont -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Food scientist proposes way to improve health via breast milk -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons shine in ‘Whiplash’ -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Masculinity: A feminist’s perspective -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball uses size and speed en route to its first win against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why Melissa McBride is the best actor on television -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Patriots, Browns, and Seahawks highlight week 12 picks -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball secures first victory of the season against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Revisiting ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy as the final installment looms -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Establishing the rules of classroom attendance -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass hockey’s Troy Power reflects as his 100th career game approaches -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sophomore swimmer Meriza Werenski excelling in increased role -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

SGA senator plans survey on bigotry -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Jesse Morgan rides hottest streak of his career in win over Ohio

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

Jesse Morgan has always been a streaky shooter for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team. And on Wednesday night, the junior guard worked his way into the hottest streak of his career as he dropped a career-high seven 3-pointers and 35 points en route to an 85-76 victory over Ohio.

Heading into Wednesday’s tilt, Morgan was fresh off his worst game of the young season, totaling three points on 1-of-9 shooting from the field against Elon on Saturday, but fell into a rhythm early and often against the Bobcats to hit 7-of-10 from beyond the arc. After the game, he described the rim as being “big like the ocean.”

“After a while, you just black out. The shots fall. I work on it time after time (and) I’m in the gym a lot so my shots are going to fall,” Morgan said. “Once I (make) one, I’m good.”

After trailing early, 18-6, to Ohio, the Minutemen went on a 23-1 run over the span of five and a half minutes, highlighted by 16 points from the hot hand of Morgan. He finished the first half with 24 points and shot 8-of-9 from the field after missing his first two attempts.

“I’ve seen him do that before and to see him do it in a college game was really kind of uplifting for the team, I think uplifting for the fans,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said of Morgan. “As a coach, when he’s raising up and you think it’s going in instead of praying that it goes in, it’s nice.”

On the other end of the court, Morgan had much of the responsibility of guarding Mid-American Conference Preseason Player of the Year, D.J. Cooper.

“Coach was talking about how good of a good player he is so I wanted to step up and take on the challenge and try to do my best to guard him,” Morgan said.

Cooper didn’t fail to impress, however, as he finished with 23 points, 10 assists and seven boards. Despite nearly allowing a triple double to the guard, who helped lead the Bobcats to last year’s NCAA Sweet Sixteen, Kellogg was happy with Morgan’s defensive performance.

“I know how good the kid Cooper is,” Kellogg said. “He still finished with 23 (points) and 10 (assists), and I thought Jesse did a great job on him.”

Cooper who was just three rebounds shy of a triple double is currently seventh in the NCAA with 7.4 assists per game.

Kellogg emphasized how important it was to capitalize when he was on the bench.

“It was important when he was out of the game that we could get a few baskets and I thought we could raise our intensity and pressure when he was out,” he said.

With Cooper on the bench for only four minutes over the course of the game, Morgan and the Minutemen took advantage of his two short absences, outscoring Ohio, 15-1, with 11 points from Morgan.

Chaz Williams sacrificed a 26-game double-digit scoring streak so he could feed the hot hands of Morgan. Morgan was on the receiving end of five of Williams’ eight assists, and as the team’s ball primary ball handler, Williams knew it was Morgan’s night.

“You gotta get the ball to him,” Williams said. “You can’t let plays go without him touching the ball, and that’s what I was out there trying to do.”

Morgan’s 35-point total surpassed his previous career-high of 25 points on March 3 against Rhode Island, and he was just three points shy of tying Marcus Camby’s school record for the most points scored in a game at the Mullins Center when Camby dropped 38 points against Dayton on Jan. 6, 1996.

Taylor C. Snow can be reached at tsnow@dailycollegian.com and followed on Twitter @taylorcsnow.

One Response to “Jesse Morgan rides hottest streak of his career in win over Ohio”
  1. ann says:

nice reporting!