UMass field hockey pulls off thrilling overtime victory against Northeastern -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass overcomes penalties to win Ledyard National Bank Classic title

The Massachusetts hockey team ended 2012 on a high note and gave itself reason for optimism heading into the New Year.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

The Minutemen won the Ledyard National Bank Classic championship with a 3-2 win over eighth-ranked, and tournament host, Dartmouth in Hanover, N.H., on Monday night, handing the Big Green their first loss at home this season.

“It’s great. I’m really excited for the boys and how hard they played, how much they stayed the course,” UMass coach John Micheletto told UMassAthletics.com.  “A lot of adversity, losing Joel Hanley at the end of the first period, a lot of penalties. (It’s) very easy to lose our focus and get into a choppy game, but our guys did a fantastic job and it shows what we can do here in the second half.”

With the game tied 2-2 heading into the third period, UMass (7-9-2) jumped on the Big Green (8-3-2) early in the period with a power play goal from Branden Gracel just 15 seconds into the frame. The goal was Gracel’s only of the tournament, but he also chipped in with three assists to earn tournament Most Valuable Player honors. Dartmouth was a perfect 7-0 at home and had killed off 32 consecutive penalties prior to the final, but both of those streaks came to an end Monday night.

The Minutemen scored their first goal of the game just three minutes, four seconds into the game on a power play goal by Conor Sheary, who beat Big Green goaltender Cab Morris up high. UMass continued to press Dartmouth following the goal, but found misfortune when a potential goal for the Minutemen was disallowed, leading to a shorthanded opportunity soon after for Brett Patterson, who tied the game with a goal.

The Minutemen had a second goal waved off following the equalizer due to a goaltender obstruction penalty. This set the stage for the Big Green to pull ahead with under nine minutes remaining in the first period on a goal by Dustin Walsh.

UMass found itself in a difficult situation when defenseman Joel Hanley was called for a five-minute major near the end of the first period, forcing the Minutemen to start the first three minutes second period a man down.

UMass was successful in killing off the major penalty, but play continued to be slowed by penalties, as each team began a parade to the penalty box.

Midway through the second period, the Minutemen found themselves killing off another penalty, but Eddie Olczyk sprung loose and scored the team’s fourth shorthanded goal of the season to tie the game up at two. UMass relied on strong goaltending from sophomore Kevin Boyle, who made eight of his 27 saves in the third period, for much of the night, and proved essential to the Minutemen’s success in the tournament after being named Most Outstanding Goaltender.

“You can’t win championships without goaltending and Kevin gave us a chance both nights,” Micheletto said. “You know, I’m sure he’ll be the first guy to credit the guys in front of him for minimizing a lot of second shot opportunities, which as you saw was a big factor in the game and a big factor why we had a lot of the offense we did.”

UMass rallies to top Beavers

The path to the title got off to a rocky start in the semifinal contest against Bemidji St. (5-10-3) on Sunday, when UMass needed to overcome a 2-0 first period deficit to earn a 4-3 win.

After heading into the first intermission down 2-0, the Minutemen scored four unanswered goals, including three in the second period, to stave off the  Beavers and gain a berth in the championship game.

Michael Pereira, Darren Rowe and Adam Phillips each scored their fourth goals of the season, while Zack LaRue’s first career goal with 10:59 left in the game to put the Minutemen up 4-2 proved to be the game-winner.

BSU pulled to within one after it pulled the goalie and beat Boyle with 2:23 left in the third, but was unable to get any closer.

“I was happy with the process,” Micheletto said. “We told the guys between the first and second periods to stick with it and we had to tighten up and not have so many defensive lapses and to just stay the course offensively and the guys did a nice job.”

The Minutemen will look to carry their momentum when they resume conference play Jan. 11 at home against Providence.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter at @MDC_Strohecker.