Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass Admissions begins to reveal early action results

It’s that time of year again!

No, the holidays are over, but for the college class of 2017, the time for celebrating is hopefully just beginning, as prospective college students are now hearing back from the early round of applications. I was in this position just last year, and to no one’s relief, I was also a nervous reck, like I’m sure many University of Massachusetts hopefuls were and are now.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

To those that received early action decisions: if you were accepted and UMass is your first choice: it is time for you to now rejoice, and kick back and relax! Congratulations on all the hard work you put in at high school and time and effort put into your college applications — all of us here at UMass know the agony that you have just experienced. Now, it might be easy to slack off and not care about your grades anymore, but remember that your acceptance is a conditional one:  the condition being that you leave high school with similar grades to those that you sent to UMass originally. So while you enjoy the rest of senior year, make sure you don’t slack… at least not too much!

To those that were rejected: You have our condolences. We understand that rejection is not easy, but it’s now time for you to fall in love with another school and for you to pick up and keep moving! Turn up the heat and continue writing those other college essays. You will end up where you belong, so just trust the whole process.

And to those that were deferred: I understand this can seem worse than a rejection. You may now be doubting if UMass is really your first choice because you are resenting the decision made by the Admissions Office. You waited for weeks to receive a decision to only read that they don’t yet have a decision for you; it’s a shame, but let me just reinforce the fact that you still have a shot to get accepted, as long as you keep your grades up. On the other hand, don’t rely on that possibility, so keep your options open and continue with your other applications. I’m sure that you would love UMass just as much UMass would love  to have you, but just in case it doesn’t work out, start looking at other schools and  begin to imagine yourself there. Good luck, and welcome to the fraction of applicants that have been accepted so far for the class of 2017!

Purti Pareek can be reached at ppareek@student.umass.edu.