UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

UMass Admissions begins to reveal early action results

It’s that time of year again!

No, the holidays are over, but for the college class of 2017, the time for celebrating is hopefully just beginning, as prospective college students are now hearing back from the early round of applications. I was in this position just last year, and to no one’s relief, I was also a nervous reck, like I’m sure many University of Massachusetts hopefuls were and are now.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

To those that received early action decisions: if you were accepted and UMass is your first choice: it is time for you to now rejoice, and kick back and relax! Congratulations on all the hard work you put in at high school and time and effort put into your college applications — all of us here at UMass know the agony that you have just experienced. Now, it might be easy to slack off and not care about your grades anymore, but remember that your acceptance is a conditional one:  the condition being that you leave high school with similar grades to those that you sent to UMass originally. So while you enjoy the rest of senior year, make sure you don’t slack… at least not too much!

To those that were rejected: You have our condolences. We understand that rejection is not easy, but it’s now time for you to fall in love with another school and for you to pick up and keep moving! Turn up the heat and continue writing those other college essays. You will end up where you belong, so just trust the whole process.

And to those that were deferred: I understand this can seem worse than a rejection. You may now be doubting if UMass is really your first choice because you are resenting the decision made by the Admissions Office. You waited for weeks to receive a decision to only read that they don’t yet have a decision for you; it’s a shame, but let me just reinforce the fact that you still have a shot to get accepted, as long as you keep your grades up. On the other hand, don’t rely on that possibility, so keep your options open and continue with your other applications. I’m sure that you would love UMass just as much UMass would love  to have you, but just in case it doesn’t work out, start looking at other schools and  begin to imagine yourself there. Good luck, and welcome to the fraction of applicants that have been accepted so far for the class of 2017!

Purti Pareek can be reached at ppareek@student.umass.edu.