UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

NFL wild-card weekend predictions

MCT

As history shows, a first-round playoff bye does not necessarily spell success. Five of the last seven Super Bowl  champions went through wild-card weekend en route to the Lombardi Trophy, and with talent spread so evenly across the board among this year’s playoff teams, the eventual champion may be one of the eight that are playing this weekend.

In the AFC, we have a wild-card rematch: the Cincinnati Bengals, who lost to the Houston Texans last year in a blowout. But the Bengals are riding one of the hottest streaks in football, and will be facing a Texan team that has lost its pizzazz over the last quarter of the season.

Then there’s the Luck-driven Colts, who have turned a franchise around with their No. 1 overall pick paving the way and bringing optimism back to Indianapolis. But they have no easy task ahead of them as they head to Baltimore to face a hungry Ravens team that will be rejuvenated by the return of defensive general Ray Lewis.

CONTINUE TO AFC WILD-CARD PREDICTIONS

In the NFC, its a Week 17 rematch between the Minnesota Vikings and the Green Bay Packers. The Vikings squeezed by Green Bay last weekend with a 37-34 victory at home, but they travel to one of the toughest playoff environments, Lambeau Field, to take on a Packer team seeking immediate revenge.

And of course there’s the matchup of the rookie quarterbacks. Each leading their teams to a double-digit win total, Robert Griffen III and the Washington Redskins, winners of seven straight games, play host to Russell Wilson and the No. 1 overall defense in the NFL, the Seattle Seahawks.

CONTINUE TO NFC WILD-CARD PREDICTIONS

Four clashes, eight teams, each of them just four wins away from raising the Lombardi Trophy.

Taylor C. Snow can be reached at tsnow@dailycollegian.com