Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

NFL wild-card weekend predictions

MCT

As history shows, a first-round playoff bye does not necessarily spell success. Five of the last seven Super Bowl  champions went through wild-card weekend en route to the Lombardi Trophy, and with talent spread so evenly across the board among this year’s playoff teams, the eventual champion may be one of the eight that are playing this weekend.

In the AFC, we have a wild-card rematch: the Cincinnati Bengals, who lost to the Houston Texans last year in a blowout. But the Bengals are riding one of the hottest streaks in football, and will be facing a Texan team that has lost its pizzazz over the last quarter of the season.

Then there’s the Luck-driven Colts, who have turned a franchise around with their No. 1 overall pick paving the way and bringing optimism back to Indianapolis. But they have no easy task ahead of them as they head to Baltimore to face a hungry Ravens team that will be rejuvenated by the return of defensive general Ray Lewis.

CONTINUE TO AFC WILD-CARD PREDICTIONS

In the NFC, its a Week 17 rematch between the Minnesota Vikings and the Green Bay Packers. The Vikings squeezed by Green Bay last weekend with a 37-34 victory at home, but they travel to one of the toughest playoff environments, Lambeau Field, to take on a Packer team seeking immediate revenge.

And of course there’s the matchup of the rookie quarterbacks. Each leading their teams to a double-digit win total, Robert Griffen III and the Washington Redskins, winners of seven straight games, play host to Russell Wilson and the No. 1 overall defense in the NFL, the Seattle Seahawks.

CONTINUE TO NFC WILD-CARD PREDICTIONS

Four clashes, eight teams, each of them just four wins away from raising the Lombardi Trophy.

Taylor C. Snow can be reached at tsnow@dailycollegian.com