UMass men’s soccer falls to No. 6 Syracuse in season opener -

UMass football boasts young, balanced rushing attack going into 2016 season -

UMass football looks to add more size, depth on defensive side heading into 2016 -

UMass football gets back in action with start of training camp -

UMass football coach Mark Whipple announces Ross Comis as starting quarterback, transfer Andrew Ford close behind -

Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Bomben scores career-high 16 in Minutewomen’s 8th straight loss

The losses have been piling up for the Massachusetts women’s basketball team, and Sunday’s 57-55 defeat at the hands of Dartmouth was no less dramatic than many of the others.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

After fighting through offensive struggles and mental lapses for much of the game, the Minutewomen narrowly missed pulling off the type of late-game comeback that has consistently evaded them this season.

The loss is UMass’ season-high eighth in a row, a streak that dates back over a month to Dec. 1. The extended skid left Minutewomen head coach Sharon Dawley searching for answers.

“We’re obviously disappointed,” Dawley said. “We’ve yet to have a game where we’ve had five kids click at the same time. That’s where we’re at in terms of being frustrated.

“Sometimes it creeps in that you’re playing not to lose instead of playing to win a basketball game, and that could be part of (the losing streak).”

The Minutewomen (2-13) failed to put together any sort of offensive momentum for much of the game, but especially early on. Missed layups and open looks led to a 6-of-28 first half shooting performance and a 26-21 halftime deficit for the reeling UMass squad.

The first half trends continued out of the break for UMass, as the Big Green (2-12) stretched their lead to double-digits, but a career-high 16 points from forward Kiara Bomben, who used a 10-of-12 night from the free throw line to help set the mark, and 10 points from reserve guard Carolann Cloutier kept things from getting out of hand.

“It just felt great,” Cloutier said, who is recovering from a torn ACL suffered late last season. “It’s just hard when you come back from an injury and you’re trying to get there, but it’s just not working. I just felt really confident with my shot, and today it was just dropping.”

Forward Aisha Rodney, who, along with Cloutier, was called on to play big minutes down the stretch after standout performers Jasmine Watson and Rashida Timbilla were sidelined with foul trouble, contributed eight points, which drew praise from her coach.

“Both (Watson and Timbilla) picked up, I thought, silly third fouls,” Dawley said, “but it gave Aisha a chance, and I think she ran with it. She’s a great player.”

After swapping offensive runs in the second half, the Minutewomen pulled within two points of Dartmouth, sitting at 51-49 with just under two minutes left in regulation.

But as it has more often than not been the case this season, UMass failed to execute when it mattered most. Sloppy turnovers and bad looks at the hoop derailed the comeback attempt, and timely free throw shooting from the Big Green, who went 17-of-18 from the line, sealed the victory late.

Center Tia Dawson led Dartmouth with a 13-point, 12-rebound double-double while also picking up five assists in 31 minutes. Guard Faziah Steen (11 points) and center Daisy Jordan (10) also reached double-digits for the Big Green.

Dawley said afterwards that the looming challenge of conference play hanging over the team didn’t affect the team’s preparation.

“They’re all must-win (games),” she said. “There’s no game that we can take lightly.”

UMass next welcomes Atlantic 10 rival George Washington to the Mullins Center at 2 p.m. on Saturday as the team kicks off the conference portion of its schedule.

Daniel Malone can be reached at dmalone@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Daniel_Malone.