UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

NFC divisional round predictions

BACK

Green Bay Packers (11-5) @

San Francisco 49ers (11-4-1)

The Green Bay Packers have the worst offensive line in the NFL. After matching up with a mediocre Minnesota defense, Aaron Rodgers now has to go up against the No. 1 overall defense in the NFC, the San Francisco 49ers.

Having been sacked 51 times this season (most in the NFL), the Packers’ quarterback will not have an easy night against the likes of Pro Bowler Aldon Smith (19.5 sacks) and Justin Smith, who is returning to the defensive line after being sidelined since partially tearing his left triceps in Week 15 at New England. Though he will be playing injured, Justin Smith’s presence on the line should help Aldon Smith, who was not able break free and record a sack in Justin’s absence.

Then of course, up the middle is the tandem of Pro Bowl linebackers Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman, who combined for a total of 269 tackles this year. Against them in Week 1, the Packers were only able to rush for a total of 45 yards, meaning this game, as expected, will be in the hands of Rodgers.

On defense, Green Bay has the disadvantage of going up against a quarterback they have not faced before. Colin Kaepernick will bring versatility and strength to the game — factors that the Packers did not face in Week 1 against then-starting quarterback Alex Smith.

MCT

Running-wise, Frank Gore will benefit from a bye week, as he brings the fourth-ranked rushing offense up against the 20th-ranked rushing defense.

The outcome of this game will depend upon Rodgers’ passing performance, but despite his elite receiving corps running at full strength, the pair of bull-rushing Smiths will not allow him enough time in the pocket. He still should be able to get off some good passes as usual, but if the 49er offense can keep their turnovers minimal, and keep the ball out of Rodgers’ hands as much as possible, they should come out on top.

Final Verdict:

San Francisco – 23

Green Bay – 20

Seattle Seahawks (11-5) @

Atlanta Falcons (13-3)

It’s hard not to jump on the Seattle Seahawks’ bandwagon by now, but as long as they’re away from CentralLink Field, I’m still skeptical.

Coming away with a 10-point road win last week in Washington may seem convincing, but they did it against a diminished Robert Griffin III. What concerned me was the way that the Washington Redskins started out against the No. 1 scoring defense in the NFL. They scored 14 points in the first quarter, showing weakness in Seattle’s secondary. Then Griffin’s injuries came into play and the Seahawks took advantage played with an advantage as he continued to play hurt.

MCT

Now they have to go up against a completely healthy passing unit that has thrived this year. This season, receivers Roddy White, Julius Jones and tight end Tony Gonzalez combined for 264 receptions, 3,479 yards and 25 touchdowns this season. The duo of Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner will be able to hinder Ryan’s passing game slightly, but White and Jones will get the better of them on more than one occasion.

Perhaps the most concerning fact coming into this game for the Seahawks is that they will not have leading pass-rusher Chris Clemons, after he tore his ACL against the Redskins. This will give Ryan more time in the pocket, thus allowing him more time to find an open option.

Offensively, Seattle should get most of its yards on the ground. Last week, the Seahawks trampled the No. 1 rushing defense in the league, accumulating 224 yards on the ground. This week, they have an easy transition to the 21st-ranked Atlanta rushing defense, so they should be able to pile up the yards on the ground yet again.

It will be no surprise if the Falcons give up a lot of total yards in this game, as they’re ranked 24th in the league in that category, but their defense has the ability to stop opposing teams in their own territory — at home the Falcons have averaged giving up just 17 points per game.

The Seahawks may out-gain Atlanta in total yards on Sunday, but I think Matt Ryan will finally win his first NFL playoff game with the help of some clutch defense from the Dirty Birds.

Final Verdict:

Atlanta: 21

Seattle: 17

ALSO, CHECK OUT AFC DIVISIONAL ROUND PREDICTIONS

Taylor Snow can be reached at tsnow@dailycollegian.com and followed on Twitter @taylorcsnow.