UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Jon Gillies baffles UMass offense, earns shutout

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Usually when a team outshoots its opponent 44-22, it expects to win, but that was not the case for the Massachusetts hockey team Saturday night.

Instead, the Minutemen (7-11-2, 4-8-1 Hockey East Association) suffered a 2-0 setback to Providence College in front of 1,800 fans at Schneider Arena.

Saturday’s game was a stark difference from Friday’s game when the shots were going in for both teams, a game PC won, 5-4.

UMass had many chances throughout Saturday’s game, but Friars (9-8-3, 7-4-2 HEA) freshman goalie Jon Gillies made 44 saves and kept the Minutemen off of the scoreboard the entire game.

Gillies faced 10 shots in the first period, 21 in the second and 13 in the third and saved them all.

Despite the loss, UMass coach John Micheletto was happy with how his team played overall and credited Gillies with a great performance.

“The guys did a great job,” he said. “I don’t know if we could’ve played a better game. We were facing a guy who obviously played a very special game. The only thing that we can control is our effort and execution and that was pretty darn good tonight. So as I tell our guys, we don’t like to lose, but (when) you leave it all out there and you don’t come up with a win, you tip your cap and move on.”

On the other end of the ice, Steve Mastalerz got the start in goal for the Minutemen and made 22 saves.

“He gave us a chance to win,” Micheletto said of his performance in net despite not facing the constant action Gillies was facing.

It was Mastalerz’ first start since Oct. 26, 2012 against Boston University; a 5-2 loss and his first game action since Nov. 18, 2012 when he came in for Jeff Teglia during an 8-2 loss to UMass Lowell.

Despite being outshot 21-4 in the second period, PC scored its first of two goals 18 minutes, 13 seconds into the frame. The Friars created the opportunity when it sent the puck into the offensive zone. Derek Army then beat UMass defenseman Conor Allen to the dumped in puck after he changed direction on him. Army delivered the puck to Ross Mauermann in front of the net and he finished from there for his seventh goal of the season. Brandon Tanev was also credited with an assist on the goal.

After conceding the goal, the Minutemen needed a minute to “catch their breath.”

“There’s always a moment when you take a body blow,” Micheletto said. “There’s always a moment where you have to try and catch your breath. I think we saw the shift after we got a little bit scrambled. … We almost collectively took a breath and made an outlet pass and got ourselves out and got right back to doing what we do.”

Unfortunately for UMass, it was unable to prevent the Friars from adding an insurance goal at the 9:58 mark in the third period. Tim Schaller scored the goal when he knocked home a rebound, making it 2-0 PC. Myles Harvey had the original shot for the Friars. Tom Parisi was also credited with an assist.

In the end the 2-0 loss wasn’t the result Micheletto was looking for, but he was pleased with his teams’ effort.

“I think they believe in what we are doing,” he said. “Some nights we are going to score four or five and some nights we’re not. That’s the sport. You don’t always get the reward you deserve.”

The Minutemen will get another opportunity to get that reward Friday night when it travels to Boston College. The puck is scheduled to drop at 7 p.m.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_McDonough.