Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Jon Gillies baffles UMass offense, earns shutout

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Usually when a team outshoots its opponent 44-22, it expects to win, but that was not the case for the Massachusetts hockey team Saturday night.

Instead, the Minutemen (7-11-2, 4-8-1 Hockey East Association) suffered a 2-0 setback to Providence College in front of 1,800 fans at Schneider Arena.

Saturday’s game was a stark difference from Friday’s game when the shots were going in for both teams, a game PC won, 5-4.

UMass had many chances throughout Saturday’s game, but Friars (9-8-3, 7-4-2 HEA) freshman goalie Jon Gillies made 44 saves and kept the Minutemen off of the scoreboard the entire game.

Gillies faced 10 shots in the first period, 21 in the second and 13 in the third and saved them all.

Despite the loss, UMass coach John Micheletto was happy with how his team played overall and credited Gillies with a great performance.

“The guys did a great job,” he said. “I don’t know if we could’ve played a better game. We were facing a guy who obviously played a very special game. The only thing that we can control is our effort and execution and that was pretty darn good tonight. So as I tell our guys, we don’t like to lose, but (when) you leave it all out there and you don’t come up with a win, you tip your cap and move on.”

On the other end of the ice, Steve Mastalerz got the start in goal for the Minutemen and made 22 saves.

“He gave us a chance to win,” Micheletto said of his performance in net despite not facing the constant action Gillies was facing.

It was Mastalerz’ first start since Oct. 26, 2012 against Boston University; a 5-2 loss and his first game action since Nov. 18, 2012 when he came in for Jeff Teglia during an 8-2 loss to UMass Lowell.

Despite being outshot 21-4 in the second period, PC scored its first of two goals 18 minutes, 13 seconds into the frame. The Friars created the opportunity when it sent the puck into the offensive zone. Derek Army then beat UMass defenseman Conor Allen to the dumped in puck after he changed direction on him. Army delivered the puck to Ross Mauermann in front of the net and he finished from there for his seventh goal of the season. Brandon Tanev was also credited with an assist on the goal.

After conceding the goal, the Minutemen needed a minute to “catch their breath.”

“There’s always a moment when you take a body blow,” Micheletto said. “There’s always a moment where you have to try and catch your breath. I think we saw the shift after we got a little bit scrambled. … We almost collectively took a breath and made an outlet pass and got ourselves out and got right back to doing what we do.”

Unfortunately for UMass, it was unable to prevent the Friars from adding an insurance goal at the 9:58 mark in the third period. Tim Schaller scored the goal when he knocked home a rebound, making it 2-0 PC. Myles Harvey had the original shot for the Friars. Tom Parisi was also credited with an assist.

In the end the 2-0 loss wasn’t the result Micheletto was looking for, but he was pleased with his teams’ effort.

“I think they believe in what we are doing,” he said. “Some nights we are going to score four or five and some nights we’re not. That’s the sport. You don’t always get the reward you deserve.”

The Minutemen will get another opportunity to get that reward Friday night when it travels to Boston College. The puck is scheduled to drop at 7 p.m.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_McDonough.