UMass student charged in connection with alleged involvement in racist vandalisms -

Monday, October 20, 2014

BREAKING: Police investigating death of 21-year-old female in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Duolingo makes learning a language easier -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s swimming and diving falls to Army; women’s team gets revenge -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass field hockey gets back to .500 with win over BU Sunday -

Monday, October 20, 2014

‘Columbus Day’ demonstrates ignorant view of the past -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students for Justice in Palestine aims to spread awareness, not argue -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Mending fences: SGA and Amherst officials work together to improve town/gown relations -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer drops 5-0 decision to Saint Louis -

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Phablet continues to grow and maintain popularity -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dayton Flyers soar at Rudd Field, 4-1 over the Minutemen -

Sunday, October 19, 2014

UMass football’s Sharpe continues his banner season in 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Shadrach Abrokwah has career day in UMass football’s 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan. -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

UMass tops Eastern Michigan 36-14, puts together first FBS winning streak -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Minutewomen snap 8-game losing streak against George Washington

Massachusetts women’s basketball coach Sharon Dawley has a motto for her club in the New Year and the new Atlantic 10 conference portion of her team’s schedule: “The new season is here and believe in yourself.”

If the Minutewomen’s 62-58 home win over A-1o rival George Washington at the Mullins Center on Saturday is any indication, then it looks like Dawley’s players have already bought into the mantra.

“Obviously, we’re really excited that we are 1-0 (in the conference),” Dawley said. “We put in a good week of practice, and our attitude is that it’s a new season (and) this is a new start for us.

“I think everyone is playing, probably, their best basketball right now.”

Though it looked for a while like it might fall victim to the same type of late game pratfalls that have plagued it throughout the season, UMass (3-13, 1-0 A-10) was able to fight through the frustration of nearly blowing a 15-point lead with only five minutes, nine seconds left to play and step up when the game was on the line.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

Freshman guard Nola Henry banked home a left-handed layup in traffic with 13 seconds left in regulation to end the Colonials’ (6-9, 0-1 A-10) rally and put the game out of reach for good.

“I think that bucket is going to do a lot for her,” Dawley said of Henry’s crunch time basket. “To cap off that kind of game with a great play, I think that’s going to help her down the stretch.”

The Minutewomen were paced offensively through much of the game by a pair of players who are only just now getting back to being 100 percent physically: redshirt junior guard Carolann Cloutier and sophomore forward Aisha Rodney.

Cloutier, who has now put together back-to-back impressive shooting performances, finished with a team-high 13 points and four assists while Rodney contributed 10 points and five rebounds, including two crucial offensive boards in a possession that led to a Cloutier 3-point make in the second half.

“Aisha and Carolann are big keys right now,” Dawley said. “(They’re) emerging and playing their best basketball. I think (Aisha’s) confidence is back, and I think she showed that with knocking down some shots.

“It feels great, from our stand point, to have these guys back.”

For Cloutier, who suffered a torn right ACL late last season, the road back to health has been difficult, but the fruits of her labor are proving to be sweet.

“In practice I’ve been shooting the ball well, so my confidence is coming from there,” she said. “And just my speed and being able to do what I used to do at both ends.”

UMass used the superb play of its two recovering role players to string together a pair of extended scoring runs, including a 13-3 stretch late in the first half to give the team its first halftime lead since it led 31-20 at the break on Dec. 8 at Ole Miss.

Also scoring in double-digits for the Minutewomen were sophomore guard Emily Mital (11 points, four rebounds) and senior center Jasmine Watson (10 points, eight rebounds). Freshman forward Rashida Timbilla came close to another double-double for UMass, adding eight points and 11 rebounds in the win.

The Minutewomen next travel to Bronx, N.Y. on Wednesday for another conference matchup with Fordham at 7 p.m.

Daniel Malone can be reached at dmalone@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Daniel_Malone.