Earth Day Yogathon to promote breast cancer awareness and prevention -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass baseball’s winning streak ends in lost weekend in Saint Louis -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Spring Concert a huge success -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Hillary Clinton is representing an ‘exhausted volcano’ -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass baseball set for UConn, Beanpot title vs. BC -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass tennis falls in heartbreaking fashion to VCU in A-10 finals -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass track and field sees strong showing at Holy Cross Invitational -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Police respond to large pig complaint over weekend -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass hosts 34th annual Native American Powwow -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Fun, local ways to stay active and in shape this semester -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: April 20, 2015 -

Monday, April 20, 2015

Reports: UMass adds forward Antwan Space -

Monday, April 20, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse takes control in first half, hangs on against La Salle in Sunday win -

Sunday, April 19, 2015

UMass softball sweeps St. Bonaventure behind strong pitching from Caroline Raymond -

Sunday, April 19, 2015

UMass lacrosse proves triumphant in return to Garber Field -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse improves playoff chances with victory over Drexel -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

UMass notebook: Kitching shines, West Springfield’s Dan Jonah catches touchdown -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

A.J. Doyle looks forward to contributing in a tight end role -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Three up three down: Quarterback, defensive line play in focus for UMass -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Mark Whipple: UMass football’s spring game a successful night -

Friday, April 17, 2015

Minutewomen snap 8-game losing streak against George Washington

Massachusetts women’s basketball coach Sharon Dawley has a motto for her club in the New Year and the new Atlantic 10 conference portion of her team’s schedule: “The new season is here and believe in yourself.”

If the Minutewomen’s 62-58 home win over A-1o rival George Washington at the Mullins Center on Saturday is any indication, then it looks like Dawley’s players have already bought into the mantra.

“Obviously, we’re really excited that we are 1-0 (in the conference),” Dawley said. “We put in a good week of practice, and our attitude is that it’s a new season (and) this is a new start for us.

“I think everyone is playing, probably, their best basketball right now.”

Though it looked for a while like it might fall victim to the same type of late game pratfalls that have plagued it throughout the season, UMass (3-13, 1-0 A-10) was able to fight through the frustration of nearly blowing a 15-point lead with only five minutes, nine seconds left to play and step up when the game was on the line.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

Freshman guard Nola Henry banked home a left-handed layup in traffic with 13 seconds left in regulation to end the Colonials’ (6-9, 0-1 A-10) rally and put the game out of reach for good.

“I think that bucket is going to do a lot for her,” Dawley said of Henry’s crunch time basket. “To cap off that kind of game with a great play, I think that’s going to help her down the stretch.”

The Minutewomen were paced offensively through much of the game by a pair of players who are only just now getting back to being 100 percent physically: redshirt junior guard Carolann Cloutier and sophomore forward Aisha Rodney.

Cloutier, who has now put together back-to-back impressive shooting performances, finished with a team-high 13 points and four assists while Rodney contributed 10 points and five rebounds, including two crucial offensive boards in a possession that led to a Cloutier 3-point make in the second half.

“Aisha and Carolann are big keys right now,” Dawley said. “(They’re) emerging and playing their best basketball. I think (Aisha’s) confidence is back, and I think she showed that with knocking down some shots.

“It feels great, from our stand point, to have these guys back.”

For Cloutier, who suffered a torn right ACL late last season, the road back to health has been difficult, but the fruits of her labor are proving to be sweet.

“In practice I’ve been shooting the ball well, so my confidence is coming from there,” she said. “And just my speed and being able to do what I used to do at both ends.”

UMass used the superb play of its two recovering role players to string together a pair of extended scoring runs, including a 13-3 stretch late in the first half to give the team its first halftime lead since it led 31-20 at the break on Dec. 8 at Ole Miss.

Also scoring in double-digits for the Minutewomen were sophomore guard Emily Mital (11 points, four rebounds) and senior center Jasmine Watson (10 points, eight rebounds). Freshman forward Rashida Timbilla came close to another double-double for UMass, adding eight points and 11 rebounds in the win.

The Minutewomen next travel to Bronx, N.Y. on Wednesday for another conference matchup with Fordham at 7 p.m.

Daniel Malone can be reached at dmalone@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Daniel_Malone.