UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Trey Davis logs quality minutes in UMass basketball win over Fordham

NEW YORK — When Chaz Williams missed a layup in the first half of the Massachusetts men’s basketball team’s victory over Fordham on Sunday afternoon, the junior point guard had an unlikely teammate giving him heat for it.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

Standing on the other end of Williams’ mistake was freshman point guard Trey Davis, who got in his ear, something one wouldn’t normally expect from a freshman to do.

“Being a freshman, you wouldn’t expect him to get on me, but he actually told me, he was like, ‘Chaz, you missed a layup, like, what are you doing?’” Williams said. “So I had to redeem myself on certain situations.”

Williams did redeem himself, scoring a game-high 22 points and adding seven assists, numbers expected out of the star point guard at this point in his career. But what wasn’t expected was the play of Davis, who, in an increased role, delivered in a tough spot, finishing with 12 points, four assists and zero turnovers in a career-high 21 minutes off the bench.

Davis’ role was suddenly increased Wednesday night after Jesse Morgan, the Minutemen’s second leading scorer, went down with an ankle sprain in UMass’ loss at Saint Louis. That opened the door for Freddie Riley to start in Morgan’s place, which meant Davis would be the first guard to come off the bench Sunday at Fordham.

“I wasn’t nervous,” Davis said. “I told Chaz, I said, ‘I got your back, I’m going to come in and do what I do.’”

Doing things that most hadn’t been accustomed to seeing until Sunday. Before Sunday, the freshman was averaging just 6.8 minutes per game, highlighted by a 13-minute performance against Northern Illinois.

But the DeSoto, Texas native looked more than comfortable. With Morgan out, UMass coach Derek Kellogg opted to play guard-heavy lineups that included both Williams and Davis on the floor at the same time. Davis played the point for the majority of those situations, letting Williams roam free as an off-guard.

With the ball in his hands plenty on Sunday, Davis made plays in the second half that helped his steam stave off a strong Fordham rally. With the Rams knocking on the door of what was once a substantial halftime deficit, Davis responded midway through the half with three mid-range jumpers and an assist to Williams for an important 3-pointer that helped create separation as the game winded down.

“Coach put us in the right positions,” Williams said. “Now he’s accustomed to playing the type of pace we like to play, and even better, he told me in practice that he was ready for his opportunity, and it came today and he showed up, so I’m really proud of him.”

Davis was even responsible for icing the game for UMass in the final seconds. With the Rams still within striking distance and trailing by three with 13 seconds left, Davis went to the line and sunk a pair of free throws. Then, after Branden Frazier made a pair of foul shots to bring Fordham back to within three, Davis was again sent to the line, where he made one of two to put the game out of reach.

“(Davis) is one of those guys that gets more composure and plays better in real games,” Kellogg said. “He’s a competitor, he did a nice job and I’m happy he made those free throws down the stretch. That gave me even more confidence in him.”

With Morgan still out for an unknown amount of time, Davis will likely be getting called upon more in the very near future.

And if his performance Sunday is any indication, he seems more than ready to answer the call.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.

You must be logged in to post a comment.