Experienced Ohio State club too much for UMass hockey in 3-0 loss -

Season-high 29 saves from Matt Murray proves lone highlight in UMass hockey’s 3-0 shutout loss to Ohio State -

UMass football picks up first win of the season in blowout win over Georgia Southern -

Student in critical condition after pedestrian-vehicle accident on Friday -

UMass women’s soccer fails to secure spot in A-10 tournament with loss to Saint Louis -

Struggles with special teams sinks UMass hockey -

UMass hockey drops second of the year in 3-1 loss to Ohio State -

Amazon textbook contract ending in December 2018 -

UMass field hockey heads into crucial A-10 matchup -

2017 Hockey Special Issue -

International Relations Club tackles tough issues at ‘Foreign Policy Coffee Hour’ -

Sexual assault reports spike on campus -

Californian students react to wildfires back home -

‘My Little Pony: The Movie’ is a surprising animated treat, whether you’re a fan of the show or not -

With a young team, Carvel is preparing the UMass hockey team to thrive -

Letter: UMass hockey is great, but where are the students? -

Boino’s blast gives UMass men’s soccer sole possession of first place in the Atlantic 10 -

UMass freshmen look to play physical, make an impact and improve early on -

UMass hockey sets out to create new program, identity in 2017-18 -

Cale Makar: UMass hockey’s crown jewel -

UMass basketball guard Jesse Morgan out for the season with torn ACL

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

It appears that the status of Massachusetts men’s basketball guard Jesse Morgan’s right knee is worse than initially believed.

Initially ruled as a sprain, it was announced Tuesday that Morgan has a torn ACL in his right knee and will miss the remainder of the 2012-13 season. The junior will have surgery next month.

Morgan suffered the injury during the Minutemen’s loss at Saint Louis on Jan. 10 when his right knee buckled on a drive to the lane. He then fell to the floor screaming in pain and had to be helped off the court.

The initial reports were that Morgan would be day-to-day. Now, UMass coach Derek Kellogg and the rest of his squad will have to chase an Atlantic 10 championship and postseason berth without arguably its best perimeter defender and second-leading scorer at 13.4 points per game.

“It’s really bad for Jesse obviously,” Kellogg said. “He worked really hard to be one of our team leaders and one of our better players. To have an injury like that cost him the rest of his junior year is tough for him. It’s tough for our team to a certain extent.”

Morgan was sidelined for Sunday’s win at Fordham and senior Freddie Riley started in his place, playing 36 minutes and scoring 11 points, including a nail-in-the-coffin 3-pointer with 33.9 seconds left to push the Minutemen’s lead to five. Kellogg says he’s gained a lot of confidence in Riley, whose role will continue to increase with Morgan now out for the year.

“Even before Jesse was hurt, I was gaining confidence in Freddie,” Kellogg said. “I think his whole demeanor, it seems like he’s just matured into a senior. He’s not so much worried about how many points he has, he’s worried about winning, which is the most important thing.”

Kellogg is hopeful that Morgan will come back stronger next year after going through the rehabilitation process for his knee.

“The one thing I know about (Morgan) is that he’s going to work his tail off to get that knee strong and come back even better,” Kellogg said. “We’ll be here with him every step of the way.”

Morgan becomes the second UMass guard to be out for a significant amount of time this season. Senior Javorn Farrell hasn’t suited up this year with an ankle injury that he suffered during the offseason. Farrell was another key member of the backcourt, who spent time at the two-guard and the small forward position.

Freshman point guard Trey Davis should also see an increase in playing time in addition to Riley. Davis played a career-high 21 minutes and scored 12 points in Sunday’s victory while Morgan was sidelined.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.