UMass field hockey pulls off thrilling overtime victory against Northeastern -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass men’s hoops pulls away late to top Duquesne

Those who have followed the Massachusetts men’s basketball team this season had seen this movie play too many times before.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

UMass plays a strong first half and watches as the opposition storms out of the locker room to cut the deficit down to one possession, throwing the Minutemen into the heart of yet another game decided in the final minutes.

And when UMass’ 44-30 halftime lead over Duquesne transformed into a 65-62 clinger on Thursday night, it begged the question — how long would it be until the Minutemen were capable of stringing together a run to sprint away with a game rather than surviving one in the final minute?

Fortunately for UMass coach Derek Kellogg, he didn’t have to wait long.

The Minutemen’s 14-2 jolt ended any chance for a Dukes comeback bid, building a 15-point lead with one minute, four seconds remaining to ultimately prevail, 79-66, in front of 3,421 at the Mullins Center.

“I’m getting a little fatigued from all these last minute, last second shots,” Kellogg said. “It was good to kind of pull away and feel like you had the game in the bag for the last two-and-a-half, three minutes.”

Duquesne (7-10, 0-3 Atlantic 10) guard Derrick Colter’s lay-in brought the Dukes within three, 65-62, with 7:12 remaining, but Terrell Vinson hit a fade-away jumper, grabbed a rebound on the other end of the floor and zipped a pass to Freddie Riley, who pulled up and buried a 3-pointer in transition. All of a sudden, the Minutemen (12-4, 2-1 A-10) had an eight-point advantage and the home crowd rocking. Duquesne never got within single digits again.

“They were really on a scoring run so when I hit the three, I felt like it gave us some momentum to win the game because they were getting close,” said Riley, who finished with 12 points on 4-of-8 shooting from 3-point range.

Riley’s clutch shot marked the second instance in as many games that a triple of his own proved to be the dagger that held off the opposition’s comeback. In Sunday’s win at Fordham, Riley nailed a 3-pointer with 33.9 seconds left to push UMass’ lead to five and help stave off the Rams’ second-half surge.

“I’m just trying to go out there and be confident,” Riley said of his recent clutch factor. “I’m known as a shooter so when I get an open shot, I need to put them in, so that’s what I’m trying to do.”

Jesse Morgan’s defensive presence was dearly missed against Duquesne’s Sean Johnson, who paved the way for the Dukes in the second half, scoring 18 of his game-high 29 points in the final 20 minutes. He was the leading force in Duquesne’s sprint out of the break, hitting his first five shots from the field in the second half as part of his 16-point onslaught in the opening 5:44 of the half.

Chaz Williams, who led the Minutemen with 22 points and nine assists, was the one who had to take Johnson on the defensive end; something Kellogg doesn’t want to see out of a player who exerts so much energy on the offensive end as well.

“You got Chaz really running our offense and doing a lot of things, it’s hard to then put him on the other team’s best or second best player,” Kellogg said. “One more guy that was a defensive lockdown guy would’ve been nice to have had.”

Vinson finished with 17 points on 8-of-15 shooting in addition to dishing out five assists. Cady Lalanne was a bright spot off the bench, finishing with 12 points and 11 boards in his 25 minutes. Lalanne caused havoc on the offensive glass as well, as UMass put home 18 second-chance points.

Lalanne contributes his better play of late to getting into game shape, which was something that hindered him early in the year as he recovered from a foot injury that sidelined him for the majority of last season.

“I feel like I’m in a lot better shape to run up and down the floor,” Lalanne said. “Coach has been telling me to be relentless on the boards, just go out there and rebound.”

The Minutemen overcame a mostly sloppy first half with a 23-8 spurt over a 7:14 span to build a 44-27 lead — the largest differential of the contest.

UMass gets right back at it Saturday afternoon when it hosts George Washington at 4 p.m. Former Minuteman great Marcus Camby will have his jersey retired during a halftime ceremony.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.