Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Campus prepares preventative measures for severe flu season

Justin Surgent/Collegian

The University of Massachusetts is taking preventative measures against the flu now that a majority of the student body has returned to campus.

University Health Services will be offering flu shots from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. starting today for students and other UHS patients. Vaccinations – available in both inhaled and injected form – will be billed directly to students’ health insurance plans.

Flu shots often “take up to two weeks to build up your body’s defenses,” according to Flu.gov.

Those seeking precautions against the flu can view UHS’ website for recommendations. UHS advises students to wash their hands, not to share food and utensils, and avoid touching one’s face and hands.

Dr. Alan Calhoun, the director of UHS, wrote in an email to students on Jan. 14 detailing the “preventative measures UMass Amherst is taking to manage further outbreaks.”

Calhoun cautioned students with flulike symptoms about returning to campus. These students are being asked to contact professors for make-up work and to email Residential Life, which has been prepped for late arrivals, to confirm a delayed check-in, according to the Calhoun’s email.

In the event that a student is sick on campus, UHS’s website recommends “staying home from school, or work, and limiting contact with others.”

UMass Dining is offering prepackaged meals of soup, crackers, ginger ale and other items, which can ordered from the dining service’s website. Costs for meals will be deducted from the student’s meal plan. Friends or an RA can be prompted to pick up and deliver the meal, according to UHS’ website.

The flu season started early and with an impact. There have been 29 deaths from the sickness across Massachusetts, according to a Jan. 18 article by WCVB Boston.

Calhoun’s email asked students to get their flu shots before returning to campus. Calhoun advised students to use the Center for Disease Control’s website to see their areas flu shot availability.

Precautions for the flu, though, began in the fall. Mobile clinics brought flu shots to on-campus areas, including dormitories and dining halls. These clinics will not return this semester.