Video monitoring equipment installed throughout Amherst in preparation for ‘Blarney’ -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tournament time: UMass women’s basketball faces St. Bonaventure in A-10 opener -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bread & Butter brings local produce to Amherst’s breakfast scene -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

‘Blarney’ guest policy is too harsh and was announced too late -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Esho and Lalanne ready for one final show at Mullins Center -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: March 3, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Campus prepares preventative measures for severe flu season

Justin Surgent/Collegian

The University of Massachusetts is taking preventative measures against the flu now that a majority of the student body has returned to campus.

University Health Services will be offering flu shots from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. starting today for students and other UHS patients. Vaccinations – available in both inhaled and injected form – will be billed directly to students’ health insurance plans.

Flu shots often “take up to two weeks to build up your body’s defenses,” according to Flu.gov.

Those seeking precautions against the flu can view UHS’ website for recommendations. UHS advises students to wash their hands, not to share food and utensils, and avoid touching one’s face and hands.

Dr. Alan Calhoun, the director of UHS, wrote in an email to students on Jan. 14 detailing the “preventative measures UMass Amherst is taking to manage further outbreaks.”

Calhoun cautioned students with flulike symptoms about returning to campus. These students are being asked to contact professors for make-up work and to email Residential Life, which has been prepped for late arrivals, to confirm a delayed check-in, according to the Calhoun’s email.

In the event that a student is sick on campus, UHS’s website recommends “staying home from school, or work, and limiting contact with others.”

UMass Dining is offering prepackaged meals of soup, crackers, ginger ale and other items, which can ordered from the dining service’s website. Costs for meals will be deducted from the student’s meal plan. Friends or an RA can be prompted to pick up and deliver the meal, according to UHS’ website.

The flu season started early and with an impact. There have been 29 deaths from the sickness across Massachusetts, according to a Jan. 18 article by WCVB Boston.

Calhoun’s email asked students to get their flu shots before returning to campus. Calhoun advised students to use the Center for Disease Control’s website to see their areas flu shot availability.

Precautions for the flu, though, began in the fall. Mobile clinics brought flu shots to on-campus areas, including dormitories and dining halls. These clinics will not return this semester.