Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

Chipotle may raise prices

There’s bad news for fans of Chipotle. The Mexican restaurant is considering raising its prices.

The company blames food price inflation for the potential hike, according to the Chicago Tribune, saying the meat and dairy products are ingredients responsible for the raise.

The antibiotic-free meats and organic ingredients the chain serves up in its “premium” items, make the chain more susceptible to changes in food costs, as it frequently cannot nail down prices on these items, according to the Tribune.

The potential price hike won’t happen until at least midway through 2013, according to Chief Financial Officer of Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. John Hartung, who announced the news at the ICR XChange Investor Conference on Thursday in Miami, Fl.

A typical Chipotle meal currently costs about $9, according to The Huffington Post.

Lately, Chipotle – which has 1,400 locations nationwide, including one recently erected in Hadley – has been taking a beating in the stock market, suffering setbacks due to both rising food prices and increased competition from chains such as the ever-cheap Taco Bell, according to HuffPost.

And of course, the slow economy has dampened people’s enthusiasm to go out for dinner.

But Chipotle has a plan.

Starting in March, the company is planning on unrolling a “significant” advertising campaign, according to the Tribune. Using radio, television, outdoor and print media, the company hopes to lure in more customers.

In addition to striving to bring more people through the doors, Chipotle will be experimenting with new menu items that can be produced at a cheaper cost.

One of the items the chain will be experimenting with is tofu, according to the Tribune. Starting next month, the chain will be selling “sofritas” in the San Francisco Bay area. Sofritas are made from a braised, shredded organic tofu.

Later this month, Chipotle will start offering a catering service in Chicago, according to the Tribune. They intend to make the service nationwide during the coming months.

The company is also dabbling in Asian Food. In 2011, it opened a Southeast Asian grill called ShopHouse in Washington D.C., according to the Tribune. They are planning to open a second ShopHouse in Los Angeles during the first half of this year.

Katie Landeck can be reached at klandeck@student.umass.edu.