Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

UMass Campus Initiative partners with MassSave for energy audits

MassSave’s Landlord Letter for UMass Students

The University of Massachusetts Campus Initiative is partnering with MassSave, an energy efficiency program, to offer free energy audits for students living off campus.

Danielle Augeri/Collegian

Danielle Augeri/Collegian File Photo

Funded by utility companies in Massachusetts, “the primary goal of MassSave is to promote energy efficiency through extensive rebates and incentive options,” according to the letter above, addressed to off campus students.

Though some states require energy audits before buying a house or renting an apartment, Massachusetts is not one of them.

According to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, “Massachusetts utilities expect to invest $2.2 billion in energy efficiency resources between 2013 and 2015” and the amount of home energy services audits is expected to increase 15 percent.

UMass Sustainability Manager Ezra Small urged students to be proactive and take advantage of the audits.

“The great thing about getting an energy audit is that they’ll give you free energy efficient light bulbs, and they’ll test all of your ventilation,” Small said. “Once they test the ventilation, they can tell how airtight (the home) is and then they’ll have you purchase better ventilation.”

Tenants must have the consent of a landlord to have an audit, since there are certain steps that need to be taken before an energy specialist can visit the home, Small said.

“There are upfront costs, such as servicing your heating system,” he said. “But once you’re cleared, you can get an energy audit and [a specialist] will come in and do your insulation, and most of it will be paid for from there.”

According to the letter, an energy specialist will then, free of charge, “provide specific, highly incentivized energy-saving recommendations,” such as 75 percent off the installed cost of recommended insulation, up to $2,000; six to eight hours of no-cost air sealing to reduce draftiness; and rebates for heating and hot water equipment replacement.

According to MassSave, the audit should take anywhere between 90 to 150 minutes. During that time, the specialist will provide advice and assistance to tenants in order to develop better energy solutions.

If interested in having an energy specialist visit your home, contact the Center for EcoTechnology, the local partner of MassSave which performs the energy audits.

Taylor Snow can be reached at tsnow@dailycollegian.com.

One Response to “UMass Campus Initiative partners with MassSave for energy audits”
  1. Lawyer says:

Useful info. Hope to see more great articles later on.

You must be logged in to post a comment.