Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

UMass Campus Initiative partners with MassSave for energy audits

MassSave’s Landlord Letter for UMass Students

The University of Massachusetts Campus Initiative is partnering with MassSave, an energy efficiency program, to offer free energy audits for students living off campus.

Danielle Augeri/Collegian

Danielle Augeri/Collegian File Photo

Funded by utility companies in Massachusetts, “the primary goal of MassSave is to promote energy efficiency through extensive rebates and incentive options,” according to the letter above, addressed to off campus students.

Though some states require energy audits before buying a house or renting an apartment, Massachusetts is not one of them.

According to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, “Massachusetts utilities expect to invest $2.2 billion in energy efficiency resources between 2013 and 2015” and the amount of home energy services audits is expected to increase 15 percent.

UMass Sustainability Manager Ezra Small urged students to be proactive and take advantage of the audits.

“The great thing about getting an energy audit is that they’ll give you free energy efficient light bulbs, and they’ll test all of your ventilation,” Small said. “Once they test the ventilation, they can tell how airtight (the home) is and then they’ll have you purchase better ventilation.”

Tenants must have the consent of a landlord to have an audit, since there are certain steps that need to be taken before an energy specialist can visit the home, Small said.

“There are upfront costs, such as servicing your heating system,” he said. “But once you’re cleared, you can get an energy audit and [a specialist] will come in and do your insulation, and most of it will be paid for from there.”

According to the letter, an energy specialist will then, free of charge, “provide specific, highly incentivized energy-saving recommendations,” such as 75 percent off the installed cost of recommended insulation, up to $2,000; six to eight hours of no-cost air sealing to reduce draftiness; and rebates for heating and hot water equipment replacement.

According to MassSave, the audit should take anywhere between 90 to 150 minutes. During that time, the specialist will provide advice and assistance to tenants in order to develop better energy solutions.

If interested in having an energy specialist visit your home, contact the Center for EcoTechnology, the local partner of MassSave which performs the energy audits.

Taylor Snow can be reached at tsnow@dailycollegian.com.

One Response to “UMass Campus Initiative partners with MassSave for energy audits”
  1. Lawyer says:

Useful info. Hope to see more great articles later on.