Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

SLIDESHOW: Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament -

Monday, November 24, 2014

How to switch up your wardrobe for the new year

Flickr / Terrapin Flyer

Everyone wants to start off the new year looking good, and end the new year looking better. They want to hit the perfect weight, where they look skinny, but not deathly ill. However, reaching the perfect weight is hard, and sweets are irresistible.  So just in case those pounds don’t fly off, use these wardrobes tricks to ensure that you always look good.

Find your thing

Before you start completely redesigning your look, experiment with some statement pieces that could become a staple in your wardrobe. A new wardrobe staple could be anything from a peplum top to a pair of over the knee boots to funky accessories such as a collar necklace. Experiment with everything and anything. If you see someone on campus rocking a pair of cowboy boots that you think you could never pull off, try it anyways. This will help you get comfortable with trying out new things. When you find a staple that you really like, invest in buying variations of it.

Winter Cleaning

Before hitting the clothing stores, clean out your closet. Go through every item of clothing you own, weeding out items that you didn’t wear that much or you just didn’t like. Be sure to get rid of every item that is stained, has an unintentional rip or that has been stretched out of shape. When you’re done going through your closet, look at everything that you found. If there are any clothes that will look great with your new staples, save them and make a promise to at least wear everything one more time (or even for the first time). Finding that shirt that has spent the last 6 months hiding in the depths of your drawers could save you some money.

Who Are You?

Here comes the fun part:  shopping. But before you drive off to the mall or any shopping outlets, decide who you want to be. Think about any celebrity styles that you want to emulate. Do you want to be boho-chic or preppy? Or maybe you want to be a combination of the two? Or maybe you want to travel miles away from typical mainstream fashion? Since the point of your wardrobe upheaval is to reinvent yourself, don’t be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone. Pick a few looks to try out. When you’re comfortable with these looks, start to invest in more pieces. Before you know it, your wardrobe will be complete and you’ll be able to rock your new look every day.

Accessorize

You have the statement pieces, the clothes that go with them, and the confidence to pull it all together. Even if some of your statement pieces are accessories, you should still stock up on more accessories. After all, diamonds are a girl’s best friend. Experiment with bags, scarves, feather earrings, bracelets, everything! If you want to keep it simple, so be it, but stick with a piece that draws enough attention without being gaudy. If you’re going for a dramatic, mega-glam look, go all out. Whichever way you choose to present yourself, always make sure that you’re confident with your fashion choices. Confidence is your best accessory.

Stephen Margelony-Lajoie can be reached at smargelo@student.umass.edu.