Lack of transparency from Elections Commission endangers spring ballot -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Twitter executive speaks to future entrepreneurs -

Monday, March 2, 2015

UMass closes out regular season on a high note with victory over URI -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Gang of Four loses its essence on dreary ‘What Happens Next’ -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Students should take action to secure state funding for UMass -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Trio of seniors shine in UMass women’s basketball’s Senior Day win -

Monday, March 2, 2015

ESPN employees seek to get women involved in technology -

Monday, March 2, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises to 11-3 win over Holy Cross Saturday -

Monday, March 2, 2015

New ‘research’ on moral dilemmas -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Twin River unveil infectious, exciting debut LP -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Big Sean reaches for the top with solid “Dark Sky Paradise” -

Monday, March 2, 2015

SGA hosts first annual Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Monday, March 2, 2015

The Weekly Dead with Jack and Alex – ‘Them’ and ‘The Distance’ -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

UMass to host free concert featuring Kesha, Juicy J to deter students from participating in ‘Blarney’ -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to 0-4 with Saturday’s defeat to Brown -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Strong second half snaps three-game losing streak for UMass -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

‘UMass basketball’ returns in victory over Fordham -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

First quarter woes sink UMass men’s lacrosse in Grant Whiteway’s return -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey falls flat in regular season finale to UConn -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey stumbles offensively against UConn’s tough defensive corps -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

How to switch up your wardrobe for the new year

Flickr / Terrapin Flyer

Everyone wants to start off the new year looking good, and end the new year looking better. They want to hit the perfect weight, where they look skinny, but not deathly ill. However, reaching the perfect weight is hard, and sweets are irresistible.  So just in case those pounds don’t fly off, use these wardrobes tricks to ensure that you always look good.

Find your thing

Before you start completely redesigning your look, experiment with some statement pieces that could become a staple in your wardrobe. A new wardrobe staple could be anything from a peplum top to a pair of over the knee boots to funky accessories such as a collar necklace. Experiment with everything and anything. If you see someone on campus rocking a pair of cowboy boots that you think you could never pull off, try it anyways. This will help you get comfortable with trying out new things. When you find a staple that you really like, invest in buying variations of it.

Winter Cleaning

Before hitting the clothing stores, clean out your closet. Go through every item of clothing you own, weeding out items that you didn’t wear that much or you just didn’t like. Be sure to get rid of every item that is stained, has an unintentional rip or that has been stretched out of shape. When you’re done going through your closet, look at everything that you found. If there are any clothes that will look great with your new staples, save them and make a promise to at least wear everything one more time (or even for the first time). Finding that shirt that has spent the last 6 months hiding in the depths of your drawers could save you some money.

Who Are You?

Here comes the fun part:  shopping. But before you drive off to the mall or any shopping outlets, decide who you want to be. Think about any celebrity styles that you want to emulate. Do you want to be boho-chic or preppy? Or maybe you want to be a combination of the two? Or maybe you want to travel miles away from typical mainstream fashion? Since the point of your wardrobe upheaval is to reinvent yourself, don’t be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone. Pick a few looks to try out. When you’re comfortable with these looks, start to invest in more pieces. Before you know it, your wardrobe will be complete and you’ll be able to rock your new look every day.

Accessorize

You have the statement pieces, the clothes that go with them, and the confidence to pull it all together. Even if some of your statement pieces are accessories, you should still stock up on more accessories. After all, diamonds are a girl’s best friend. Experiment with bags, scarves, feather earrings, bracelets, everything! If you want to keep it simple, so be it, but stick with a piece that draws enough attention without being gaudy. If you’re going for a dramatic, mega-glam look, go all out. Whichever way you choose to present yourself, always make sure that you’re confident with your fashion choices. Confidence is your best accessory.

Stephen Margelony-Lajoie can be reached at smargelo@student.umass.edu.