John McCutcheon reflects on his time at UMass, admits its time for change -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass downs Dayton in bounce-back win -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass athletic director John McCutcheon to take job at UCSB -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass encourages responsible celebrating, modifies guest policy ahead of Super Bowl -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball returns home to Mullins Center with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Microsoft introduces Windows 10, Codename Spartan and the HoloLens -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cheap gas, a speed bump for the planet -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friday night a chance at redemption for UMass hockey -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beautiful focuses on body image and loving oneself -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Minutewomen set to redeem themselves against the Bonnies -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball seeks more consistency out of its veterans -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass hockey hopes to ride momentum into Friday’s matchup against Boston University -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tips for maintain and transitioning to a healthier lifestyle -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

MASSPIRG urges McDonalds to stop purchasing meat raised with antibiotics -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to avoid, treat and prevent Computer Vision Syndrome as a college student -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Obama and Modi strengthen ties between U.S. and India -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass receives research honor from the Carnegie Foundation -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Islamophobia is a form of racism that needs to be stopped -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Björk gets personal on breakup album, ‘Vulnicura’ -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass Dining nominated for Seafood Champion Award -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to switch up your wardrobe for the new year

Flickr / Terrapin Flyer

Everyone wants to start off the new year looking good, and end the new year looking better. They want to hit the perfect weight, where they look skinny, but not deathly ill. However, reaching the perfect weight is hard, and sweets are irresistible.  So just in case those pounds don’t fly off, use these wardrobes tricks to ensure that you always look good.

Find your thing

Before you start completely redesigning your look, experiment with some statement pieces that could become a staple in your wardrobe. A new wardrobe staple could be anything from a peplum top to a pair of over the knee boots to funky accessories such as a collar necklace. Experiment with everything and anything. If you see someone on campus rocking a pair of cowboy boots that you think you could never pull off, try it anyways. This will help you get comfortable with trying out new things. When you find a staple that you really like, invest in buying variations of it.

Winter Cleaning

Before hitting the clothing stores, clean out your closet. Go through every item of clothing you own, weeding out items that you didn’t wear that much or you just didn’t like. Be sure to get rid of every item that is stained, has an unintentional rip or that has been stretched out of shape. When you’re done going through your closet, look at everything that you found. If there are any clothes that will look great with your new staples, save them and make a promise to at least wear everything one more time (or even for the first time). Finding that shirt that has spent the last 6 months hiding in the depths of your drawers could save you some money.

Who Are You?

Here comes the fun part:  shopping. But before you drive off to the mall or any shopping outlets, decide who you want to be. Think about any celebrity styles that you want to emulate. Do you want to be boho-chic or preppy? Or maybe you want to be a combination of the two? Or maybe you want to travel miles away from typical mainstream fashion? Since the point of your wardrobe upheaval is to reinvent yourself, don’t be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone. Pick a few looks to try out. When you’re comfortable with these looks, start to invest in more pieces. Before you know it, your wardrobe will be complete and you’ll be able to rock your new look every day.

Accessorize

You have the statement pieces, the clothes that go with them, and the confidence to pull it all together. Even if some of your statement pieces are accessories, you should still stock up on more accessories. After all, diamonds are a girl’s best friend. Experiment with bags, scarves, feather earrings, bracelets, everything! If you want to keep it simple, so be it, but stick with a piece that draws enough attention without being gaudy. If you’re going for a dramatic, mega-glam look, go all out. Whichever way you choose to present yourself, always make sure that you’re confident with your fashion choices. Confidence is your best accessory.

Stephen Margelony-Lajoie can be reached at smargelo@student.umass.edu.