Three new students appointed as SGA special assistants -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Allymohamed scores game winner after suffering facial injury against Boston University -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Loaded weekend against Marist, Keene State challenges UMass club hockey -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

UMass football seeing improvement on both the offensive and defensive lines -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Remembering Derek Jeter: an appraisal -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Yellowcard switches things up on “Lift a Sail” -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Campus Sustainability Day to take place Wednesday -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Woosley paces UMass tennis at the ITA Northeast Regionals -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sonny Landreth performs intense, brief set at the Iron Horse -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tinashe impresses on debut album, “Aquarius” -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Ebola coverage is misinforming -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Two counts of larceny occur over the weekend -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

UMass student charged in connection with alleged involvement in racist vandalisms -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass student found dead in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

How to switch up your wardrobe for the new year

Flickr / Terrapin Flyer

Everyone wants to start off the new year looking good, and end the new year looking better. They want to hit the perfect weight, where they look skinny, but not deathly ill. However, reaching the perfect weight is hard, and sweets are irresistible.  So just in case those pounds don’t fly off, use these wardrobes tricks to ensure that you always look good.

Find your thing

Before you start completely redesigning your look, experiment with some statement pieces that could become a staple in your wardrobe. A new wardrobe staple could be anything from a peplum top to a pair of over the knee boots to funky accessories such as a collar necklace. Experiment with everything and anything. If you see someone on campus rocking a pair of cowboy boots that you think you could never pull off, try it anyways. This will help you get comfortable with trying out new things. When you find a staple that you really like, invest in buying variations of it.

Winter Cleaning

Before hitting the clothing stores, clean out your closet. Go through every item of clothing you own, weeding out items that you didn’t wear that much or you just didn’t like. Be sure to get rid of every item that is stained, has an unintentional rip or that has been stretched out of shape. When you’re done going through your closet, look at everything that you found. If there are any clothes that will look great with your new staples, save them and make a promise to at least wear everything one more time (or even for the first time). Finding that shirt that has spent the last 6 months hiding in the depths of your drawers could save you some money.

Who Are You?

Here comes the fun part:  shopping. But before you drive off to the mall or any shopping outlets, decide who you want to be. Think about any celebrity styles that you want to emulate. Do you want to be boho-chic or preppy? Or maybe you want to be a combination of the two? Or maybe you want to travel miles away from typical mainstream fashion? Since the point of your wardrobe upheaval is to reinvent yourself, don’t be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone. Pick a few looks to try out. When you’re comfortable with these looks, start to invest in more pieces. Before you know it, your wardrobe will be complete and you’ll be able to rock your new look every day.

Accessorize

You have the statement pieces, the clothes that go with them, and the confidence to pull it all together. Even if some of your statement pieces are accessories, you should still stock up on more accessories. After all, diamonds are a girl’s best friend. Experiment with bags, scarves, feather earrings, bracelets, everything! If you want to keep it simple, so be it, but stick with a piece that draws enough attention without being gaudy. If you’re going for a dramatic, mega-glam look, go all out. Whichever way you choose to present yourself, always make sure that you’re confident with your fashion choices. Confidence is your best accessory.

Stephen Margelony-Lajoie can be reached at smargelo@student.umass.edu.