Neil deGrasse Tyson to deliver keynote speech at 2015 UMass Commencement -

Emmanuel T. Bile Jr. sentenced Wednesday morning for involvement in 2012 gang rape -

Congressman Jim McGovern visits UMass for event hosted by UMass Democrats -

UMass baseball set to renew rivalry with Boston College -

Notebook: UMass football more comfortable this time around in spring practice -

‘Bloodborne’ is a perfectly twisted video game experience -

The overwhelmed and cynical public remains uninformed on politics -

SGA Senator hopes to educate students on Campus Pulse -

Outdoor season generates excitement for men’s, women’s track and field -

Brendan Hegarty continuing to contribute for UMass lacrosse -

Route 9 Diner closes as attorney general files discrimination complaint -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin performs in front of NFL scouts at Pro Day -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Sisters on the Runway successfully hosts benefit fashion show for Safe Passage -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

‘Hurry sickness’ is actually wasting our time -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Angela Davis condemns the prison industrial complex in campus talk -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

UMass softball’s home opener postponed due to unplayable field conditions -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Kickin’ Back Dance Crew looks to emerge as its own dance club -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Doing good while looking good: Fashion show raises domestic violence awareness -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Ryan Moloney pitching with confidence for UMass baseball -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Police Log: Friday, March 27 to Sunday, March 29, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

UMass professor named faculty advisor to Chancellor

Cade Belisle / Collegian Staff

University of Massachusetts Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy has named professor of Afro-American Studies Amilcar Shabazz as his faculty adviser for diversity and excellence.

In the position, Shabazz will serve on the Campus Leadership Council and be a representative of the chancellor to any groups, committees and councils on campus that are involved in promoting diversity, according to the release. He will work with senior administration, staff, faculty and students from a variety of groups, as well as the Faculty Senate Council on Diversity, Faculty Senate Council on the Status of Women and the Chancellor’s Diversity Advisory Committee, the release said. The groups will help “to develop and implement appropriate academic initiatives to advance the campus’s diversity goals,” Subbaswamy said in a press release.

Shabazz will also oversee the implementation of the campus’s diversity plan through the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity and gauge both the progress that the plan makes as well as its aftereffect, the release said. Other responsibilities include preparing an annual report on the state of campus diversity and inclusion and recommending any steps that he feels would improve the climate of diversity and inclusion to the Chancellor, according to the release.

“Professor Shabazz has written and consulted extensively on issues of race and diversity,” Subbaswamy said in a press release. “We will benefit greatly from his scholarship and leadership experience on this campus and in his previous appointments, and I look forward to having his invaluable perspective on our work in this critical area.”

Shabazz is already a highly involved member of his community as a member of the Amherst School Committee, vice-chair of the Amherst Regional School Committee and a member of the Northwestern District Attorney’s Citizens Advisory Board. At UMass, he is part of the Faculty Senate and is a member of its Rules Committee, as well as previously co-chairing the senate’s Ad Hoc Committee on Strategic Oversight.

He joined the W.E.B. Du Bois Department of Afro-American Studies in 2007 and served as chair of the department until 2012.

Shabazz, who holds a doctorate in history from the University of Houston, teaches historical studies with a focus on the political economy of social and cultural movements and education. He previously taught at Oklahoma State University and the University of Alabama, according to the release.

According to MassLive.com, Shabazz was born Eric Frank, but changed his name to honor Amilcar Cabral, the founder of the African Party for the Independence of Cape Verde, and Malcolm X, whose religious name was El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz.

The new post is a half-time position for a three-year term.

Patrick Hoff can be reached at pphoff@student.umass.edu.