Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

UMass professor named faculty advisor to Chancellor

Cade Belisle / Collegian Staff

University of Massachusetts Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy has named professor of Afro-American Studies Amilcar Shabazz as his faculty adviser for diversity and excellence.

In the position, Shabazz will serve on the Campus Leadership Council and be a representative of the chancellor to any groups, committees and councils on campus that are involved in promoting diversity, according to the release. He will work with senior administration, staff, faculty and students from a variety of groups, as well as the Faculty Senate Council on Diversity, Faculty Senate Council on the Status of Women and the Chancellor’s Diversity Advisory Committee, the release said. The groups will help “to develop and implement appropriate academic initiatives to advance the campus’s diversity goals,” Subbaswamy said in a press release.

Shabazz will also oversee the implementation of the campus’s diversity plan through the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity and gauge both the progress that the plan makes as well as its aftereffect, the release said. Other responsibilities include preparing an annual report on the state of campus diversity and inclusion and recommending any steps that he feels would improve the climate of diversity and inclusion to the Chancellor, according to the release.

“Professor Shabazz has written and consulted extensively on issues of race and diversity,” Subbaswamy said in a press release. “We will benefit greatly from his scholarship and leadership experience on this campus and in his previous appointments, and I look forward to having his invaluable perspective on our work in this critical area.”

Shabazz is already a highly involved member of his community as a member of the Amherst School Committee, vice-chair of the Amherst Regional School Committee and a member of the Northwestern District Attorney’s Citizens Advisory Board. At UMass, he is part of the Faculty Senate and is a member of its Rules Committee, as well as previously co-chairing the senate’s Ad Hoc Committee on Strategic Oversight.

He joined the W.E.B. Du Bois Department of Afro-American Studies in 2007 and served as chair of the department until 2012.

Shabazz, who holds a doctorate in history from the University of Houston, teaches historical studies with a focus on the political economy of social and cultural movements and education. He previously taught at Oklahoma State University and the University of Alabama, according to the release.

According to MassLive.com, Shabazz was born Eric Frank, but changed his name to honor Amilcar Cabral, the founder of the African Party for the Independence of Cape Verde, and Malcolm X, whose religious name was El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz.

The new post is a half-time position for a three-year term.

Patrick Hoff can be reached at pphoff@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.