DEVELOPING: Police investigating apparent death in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Duolingo makes learning a language easier -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s swimming and diving falls to Army; women’s team gets revenge -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass field hockey gets back to .500 with win over BU Sunday -

Monday, October 20, 2014

‘Columbus Day’ demonstrates ignorant view of the past -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer drops 5-0 decision to Saint Louis -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students for Justice in Palestine aims to spread awareness, not argue -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Mending fences: SGA and Amherst officials work together to improve town/gown relations -

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Phablet continues to grow and maintain popularity -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dayton Flyers soar at Rudd Field, 4-1 over the Minutemen -

Sunday, October 19, 2014

UMass football’s Sharpe continues his banner season in 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Shadrach Abrokwah has career day in UMass football’s 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan. -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

UMass tops Eastern Michigan 36-14, puts together first FBS winning streak -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Minutemen fall to Dayton 4-1 due to sloppy start -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Amherst town officials to discuss downtown parking changes

Samantha Webber/Collegian File Photo

Officials in Amherst are discussing ways to change the current parking system in the downtown area in hopes of easing congestion.

The downtown area currently features a number of metered spaces that require drivers to pay as they park. Town officials are looking to convert many of these spaces to 15-minute temporary spaces or to ones that require a permit.

Alex Krogh-Grabbe, executive director of the Amherst Business Improvement District, said 15-minute spaces “help businesses that have customers who are popping in and popping out” and would create more customer turnover than the current two-hour spaces.

Right now, downtown Amherst has four 15-minute spaces – one in front of Bruegger’s Bagels, one by Fresh Side, one by Paradise of India, and one by Stackers Pub.

More 15-minute spaces might also be installed in front of Rao’s Coffee after the Unitarian Church – which is next door to the Rao’s – expands into its own parking lot over the summer.

Other alterations are required on Gaylord Street, where neighbors are concerned with the overcrowding of cars.

Krogh-Grabbe said the street was “getting clogged with people,” and parking was becoming unsafe. Town center permits for individuals who work or live in the area will most likely be issued, Town Manager John Musante said.

On Spring Street, metered spaces will probably be changed to permit spaces during the week and metered spaces during nights and weekends, Musante said. The spaces were originally permit-only before the Lord Jeffery Inn was renovated in 2011.

Krogh-Grabbe said these spaces in particular “were getting a lot of use when they were permit spaces and have not been getting used since they were metered.”

He also said there could also be an increase of reserved spaces for businesses or tenants on the lower level of the Boltwood Garage.

“More reserved spaces are needed,” Krogh-Grabbe said of the parking garage. “It’s not an adequate number.”

The garage, once a parking lot, was built to provide more spaces for the area. Its construction took nine years and the garage provides two levels of public parking on a pay-per-space basis, including some reserved spaces on the lower level that cost $750 a year.

Musante is also in the process of identifying and designating spaces for taxi stands. There are currently a few stands next to the town common.

Musante was expected to meet with the Business Improvement District this week to discuss the changes before going to the Select Board with the proposal. He said a public hearing to address the “package of recommendations” could most likely occur in February.

Mary Reines can be reached at mreines@student.umass.edu.