UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

Amherst town officials to discuss downtown parking changes

Samantha Webber/Collegian File Photo

Officials in Amherst are discussing ways to change the current parking system in the downtown area in hopes of easing congestion.

The downtown area currently features a number of metered spaces that require drivers to pay as they park. Town officials are looking to convert many of these spaces to 15-minute temporary spaces or to ones that require a permit.

Alex Krogh-Grabbe, executive director of the Amherst Business Improvement District, said 15-minute spaces “help businesses that have customers who are popping in and popping out” and would create more customer turnover than the current two-hour spaces.

Right now, downtown Amherst has four 15-minute spaces – one in front of Bruegger’s Bagels, one by Fresh Side, one by Paradise of India, and one by Stackers Pub.

More 15-minute spaces might also be installed in front of Rao’s Coffee after the Unitarian Church – which is next door to the Rao’s – expands into its own parking lot over the summer.

Other alterations are required on Gaylord Street, where neighbors are concerned with the overcrowding of cars.

Krogh-Grabbe said the street was “getting clogged with people,” and parking was becoming unsafe. Town center permits for individuals who work or live in the area will most likely be issued, Town Manager John Musante said.

On Spring Street, metered spaces will probably be changed to permit spaces during the week and metered spaces during nights and weekends, Musante said. The spaces were originally permit-only before the Lord Jeffery Inn was renovated in 2011.

Krogh-Grabbe said these spaces in particular “were getting a lot of use when they were permit spaces and have not been getting used since they were metered.”

He also said there could also be an increase of reserved spaces for businesses or tenants on the lower level of the Boltwood Garage.

“More reserved spaces are needed,” Krogh-Grabbe said of the parking garage. “It’s not an adequate number.”

The garage, once a parking lot, was built to provide more spaces for the area. Its construction took nine years and the garage provides two levels of public parking on a pay-per-space basis, including some reserved spaces on the lower level that cost $750 a year.

Musante is also in the process of identifying and designating spaces for taxi stands. There are currently a few stands next to the town common.

Musante was expected to meet with the Business Improvement District this week to discuss the changes before going to the Select Board with the proposal. He said a public hearing to address the “package of recommendations” could most likely occur in February.

Mary Reines can be reached at mreines@student.umass.edu.