UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Ski and Board Club hosts annual Rail Jam

Flickr/aktivioslo

While returning students hustle and bustle about in the frenzy of the first week of the semester the UMass Ski and Board Club, the longest running club at the University, has been hard at work preparing for its largest and most fun event of the year: the third annual Rail Jam, a winter sports competition that will take place Friday from 5 to 11 p.m.

As it marks the first official weekend of the spring semester the Rail Jam is projected to have major attendance and a good time is sure to be had by all in spite of the dismal drops in temperature.

Known in previous years as the Metawompe Stompe, the Rail Jam is a fierce but fun competition in which more than 75 competitors will be contending for a variety of prizes, including the coveted title of “champion.”

And while it hasn’t been an easy setup in lieu of limited snowfall, the Ski and Board club has resourcefully transported snow from area ice rinks to transform the west lawn of the Southwest Residential Area into a winter wonderland of ski jumps and obstacles.

In addition to the work done by the club itself, the Okemo Mountain Resort, of Ludlow, Vt., has provided the necessary rails for the competition and is sponsoring the event geared towards students. Also in attendance will be representatives from Nope Snowboards, a company founded by two former UMass students, who will be providing exclusive prizes for the finalists in the competition.

Live DJs will be present to kick out the jams as the competition heats up and sponsors such as Vitamin Water, Competitive Edge, and a bevy of local shops will be providing warm goodies to stave off the winter chill.

Being out in the cold all night is not always fun, but thankfully the Ski and Board club has teamed up with the Residence Hall Association to provide a veritable carnival of fun games and activities for spectators to try and keep the nipping frost at bay. Raffle tickets will be available for purchase and a never-ending supply of hot chocolate will surely warm the hands and the gullet even as the icy winds whip and wail around Southwest. For those who want to attend but are worried about parking, fear not, because lots 32 and 22 right across from the event will be available all evening for anyone who wants a taste of the wintery action.

For those brave souls interested in competing in the Rail Jam, registration begins at 3 p.m. the day of the competition on a first come, first serve basis. There is a $20 registration fee and helmets are absolutely mandatory. Practice begins at 4 p.m. and the competition officially kicks off at 5 p.m. All who are interested are encouraged to take part in the competition.

Emily Brightman can be reached at ebrightman@student.umass.edu.