Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Steve Mastalerz, Kevin Boyle competing again for starting goalie spot

Michael Wood/Collegian File Photo

The competition between the pipes is heating up once again for the Massachusetts hockey team, but this time it’s a two-way competition between Kevin Boyle and Steve Mastalerz.

It looked like Boyle may have wrapped up that title midway through the first half of the season with 10 straight starts, which kicked off with a 3-1 win over Vermont on Nov. 20, 2012. But 10 games later, he struggled in a 5-4 loss against Providence College on Jan. 11.

The following day, UMass coach John Micheletto switched things up and started Mastalerz, who had not played since Nov. 18, 2012, due to a knee injury.

Although the Minutemen (8-11-2, 5-8-1 Hockey East Association) lost the game, 2-0, against the Friars, Mastalerz came up with 22 saves. He followed that performance with 21 saves in a 5-2 upset win Friday over Boston College, which was ranked No. 2 at the time.

“Steve’s performance definitely warranted him getting another look,” Micheletto said. “Especially in the early going against BC with all the penalties that we were giving, put all of us in a bad spot. Steve came up with two or three really good saves in the 5-on-3 situations that really bolstered us and allowed us to keep our legs up from underneath us.”

Micheletto said Mastalerz’s teammates helped him out too.

“So he really did a yeoman’s job in the first period,” Micheletto said, “and then we allowed him to kind of put it on cruise control from there a little bit.”

After Mastalerz’ performance on Friday, he has 1-3 overall record with a 3.78 goals-against average and a .859 save percentage. He is second on the team in all three categories behind Boyle, who has a 7-7-2 record, a 2.60 GAA and a .900 save percentage.

In Hockey East action, Boyle ranks third in GAA (2.09), fifth in save percentage (.922) and sixth in winning percentage with a record of 4-4-1. Mastalerz has not met the minimum requirement of playing in 40 percent of his team’s minutes to be included in the Hockey East’s Conference goaltending statistics.

Despite Mastalerz’ performance the past two weekends and Boyle’s statistical advantage, Micheletto has stressed all season that each position’s starter isn’t etched in stone.

Mastalerz said this approach is not hard on the goalies, because Micheletto told them from the beginning that this was his plan.

“So you have that mindset going into it so you just go out and try to compete as hard as you can and that’s all you can do,” Mastalerz said. “So if you do that, there’s a good chance of being in net on Friday night.”

Micheletto said having multiple goalies at the moment is a good thing, but he said the ideal situation will be for one of the goalies to step up and take the No. 1 spot before the end of the season.

But for the moment, Micheletto’s glad to see Mastalerz back on the ice and playing well.

“I’m happy for Steve.”

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_McDonough.