UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass basketball welcomes red-hot Richmond to Mullins

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

During Wednesday afternoon’s practice at the Mullins Center, Massachusetts men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg took a seat in the stands, rather than his usual spot on the court, to observe his team.

While it was unusual, it had a purpose. With his team in the midst of a nine-day layoff from games, he wanted to measure his team’s intensity and energy – both things he believes are of utmost importance, especially after Saturday’s loss to George Washington left a bitter taste.

“That’s the way it’s supposed to be,” Kellogg said of intense practices. “That’s the way I like practice to be, and honestly, I was holding them accountable for getting up under somebody’s chin and getting in their shirt and really talking ball pressure and being physical.

“Those are the things that make us. Those are things that’s the UMass identity, that at times, when we haven’t practiced, we haven’t had a chance to reaffirm it,” he said.

The Minutemen (12-5, 2-2 Atlantic 10) will get chance to avenge their recent loss when they welcome conference-foe Richmond to the Mullins Center on Sunday afternoon.

The Spiders (13-7, 3-2 A-10) are coming off a come-from-behind 86-74 overtime victory over No. 19 Virginia Commonwealth on Thursday night, one in which it trailed by seven with 36 seconds left in regulation, but rallied to force the extra session and then deliver the knockout punch.

Kellogg said Richmond is beginning to find its groove.

“They’re playing the way they play,” Kellogg said. “Their style is now implemented and the coach has it in … they’re capable.”

The player to watch on the Spiders is senior guard Darien Brothers, who leads the team in scoring with 16.2 points per game, including a career-high 39 points in a win against Charlotte last week in which he nailed eight of his 11 3-point attempts.

Brothers, who made the game-tying 3-pointer with four seconds left against VCU on Thursday despite going 5-for-16 from the field for the game, will likely receive focus from a depleted UMass guard lineup that lost defensive menace Jesse Morgan for the season to a torn ACL two weeks ago at Saint Louis.

Defense was a focus during practice for UMass this week as the Minutemen gear up for a Spiders team that requires attention from behind the 3-point line and employs a Princeton-style offense.

Before Thursday, Richmond ranked second in the A-10 and 31st in the country in 3-point field goal percentage at 38 percent, and three different Spiders that get notable minutes are shooting over 40 percent from beyond the arc, including Brothers at 50.9 percent.

“They play a faster-paced Princeton-style,” Kellogg said. “They shoot it quicker, and when they’re hitting their 3s, they’re deadly because they can get it going in a hurry.”

Last year, UMass held Richmond to 4-of-24 shooting from beyond the arc en route to a 79-68 road victory.

Kellogg said a similar effort will be needed out of his team this time around, even without the services of Morgan, who exploded for a game-high 20 points and caused havoc on the defensive end in last year’s meeting.

“You just have to make it tough on them,” Kellogg said. “The least amount of wide-open 3s is the best. We’ve played them and I’ve watched them on tape where it seems like every other possession, they’re wide open for a 3. They do a lot of good cutting, they have five guys that can handle and shoot the ball, and it becomes a situation where you want to limit their open looks.”

Sunday’s tip is set for 2 p.m. at the Mullins Center.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.