UMass defense can’t stop late Toledo surge, Minutemen fall 42-35 -

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Hewitt: Strong inside presence emerging for UMass basketball

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

When starting shooting guard Jesse Morgan went down for the season with a torn ACL in his right knee on Jan. 10 at Saint Louis, the Massachusetts men’s basketball team’s season took a major turn.

Not only did the Minutemen lose their second leading scorer at the time and, arguably, their best perimeter defender as well, but they also lost perhaps their best 3-point shooter, a part of the offense that has become the team’s staple in recent years.

Immediately, UMass coach Derek Kellogg and his staff knew that something needed to be changed. With only three healthy guards eligible, including inexperienced freshman Trey Davis left as the only one coming off the bench, a shift in the game plan was a necessity.

Enter: Cady Lalanne, Sampson Carter and a stronger emphasis on pounding the post.

A few months ago, I wrote in this space that the Minutemen sorely lacked an inside presence after Lalanne had a poor outing against Miami (Fla.). I also wrote that shooting the 3-pointer was in UMass’ DNA, and the lack of an option in the paint was exposing the flaws of shooting the 3-ball as often as they were.

But in Sunday’s 70-65 victory against Richmond at the Mullins Center, none of that held water. Instead, an honest team effort to feed the hands of big bodies down in the post was the difference in what was one of the biggest wins of the year for UMass.

With a clear size advantage down low, the Minutemen finished with 38 points in the paint as they looked like a team much more reliant on pounding the ball than shooting the 3-pointer.

“We were playing a little bit differently and a little bigger,” Kellogg said. “We threw the ball inside probably as much as we had really since I’ve been here as a coach.”

Given the drastic change in personnel since Morgan’s injury, it was really only a matter of time.

Working with three guards over the course of the game, as well as dealing with Raphiael Putney and Terrell Vinson’s foul trouble, Kellogg was forced to use big lineups that included Maxie Esho, Carter and Lalanne all on the floor at the same time. This  naturally led point guard Chaz Williams to look for options in the post rather than beyond the 3-point line.

The biggest beneficiary was Lalanne, who finished with 12 points on 5-of-8 shooting and could have easily had more if he didn’t miss a few point-blank attempts.

Regardless of those misses, though, his presence was strong as he anchored the Minuteman frontcourt and helped them fight back from a seven-point deficit with six minutes, two seconds left in the game.

“That’s just Cady being Cady,” Williams said. “He’s a big kid, he’s a beast, he’s a monster, so whenever you give him the ball, he just puts his body on people and tries to finish.”

As well as Lalanne played, he wasn’t the only big man getting more looks in the post. Carter, the team’s starting center, finished with 10 points, and scored eight of UMass’ first 12 points as the Minutemen jumped out to a 12-3 advantage in the opening minutes of the first half.

“I felt really good,” Carter said. “My teammates did a good job of getting back to me back-to-back. I just caught a good rhythm early and just stayed with it.

“I don’t think that’s the best I can play though.”

Despite putting more of an emphasis on looking inside, UMass wasn’t shy in dialing it up from long range on Sunday as it finished 3-of-15 from beyond the arc. That kind of inconsistency from 3-point range has plagued the Minutemen all year, as they’ve shot a hair over 30 percent from deep through 18 games.

But unlike before, when that kind of shooting may have spelled defeat, it didn’t matter against Richmond. Kellogg would obviously like more of those 3-pointers to go down, but if the game plan going forward is similar to that of Sunday’s, they may not need to.

“Not too many teams in our league have great bigs as big as Cady or as strong and physical,” Williams said. “So it’s going to be a key part for him to be a part of our team and do the things he can do.”

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.

2 Responses to “Hewitt: Strong inside presence emerging for UMass basketball”
  1. tom massetti says:

Maybe Morgan’s injury is a blesssing in disguise.I’d always
    would rather go inside out than outside in. Lalanne and Carter are capable of this.

2. paul says:

Not a chance Morgan’s injury is a blessing. The kid is a scorer and a very good perimeter defender. They will miss him against the iron of the league, VCU, Butler, Temple.