Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Overmatched Minutewomen blown out on the road by No. 17 Dayton

Bryn Rothschild-Shea/Collegian

It’s been a difficult season full of inconsistent play and frustrating defeats for the Massachusetts women’s basketball team, but the Minutewomen’s 83-44 loss at No. 17 Dayton on Sunday might be the team’s lowest point yet.

UMass (3-17, 1-4 Atlantic 10) shot just 33.3 percent from the field and was held without a double-digit scorer as the Flyers (17-1, 5-0 A-10) forced 31 Minutewomen turnovers and cruised to an easy, wire-to-wire blowout victory.

After the game, UMass coach Sharon Dawley was concerned with her players’ readiness to face down a difficult challenge from the A-10’s top-ranked team.

“I don’t think we came out of the gate aggressive enough,” she said. “I don’t think we played well enough, obviously. I don’t know if their ranking or record intimidated us prior to the game starting, but we definitely looked like a very intimidated group at the jump ball.”

The Minutewomen opened with an inauspicious start – four turnovers in their first five offensive possessions – establishing a sloppy tone that would taint their efforts throughout the game. Lazy inbound passes and traveling violations plagued the team on numerous occasions, helping Dayton to score nearly half its total points (40) off UMass turnovers.

“I think it’s, again, being intimidated,” Dawley said. “(That’s) why you would throw the ball away to someone that’s not open, almost like hot-potato, or travel.

“You’re thinking more of your shot getting blocked than you are that you moved (your pivot foot). That was a big part of it.”

Unnecessary and untimely turnovers have limited the Minutewomen’s chances for success all season, and Dawley is still left scratching her head as to why.

“If I knew why we turn the ball over, that would be the million dollar question,” she said.

Four Flyers scored in double-figures, including a game-high 18 points from Amber Deane and Andrea Hoover, as Dayton launched a grinding offensive attack that was never explosive, but steadily wore down the UMass defense. The Minutewomen failed to mount any sort of a counterattack, often slogging through long stretches of offensive ineptitude, including a run of nine minutes, 42 seconds in the first half in which they were outscored 17-0.

Dayton capitalized on UMass’ drought and took a commanding 41-17 lead into halftime.

The Minutewomen’s leading scorer on the season, Jasmine Watson, scored only six points in 17 minutes before fouling out with 7:09 left in regulation.

“It was disappointing that she wasn’t able to go for a little bit longer,” Dawley said. “A couple of those fouls we could’ve avoided, for sure, if she didn’t go up to block shots. But that’s how she plays.”

UMass struggled to replace Watson’s production in the paint. A pleasant surprise, however were the contributions of Jasmine Harris, who scored a team-high eight points and pulled down five rebounds in only 15 minutes off the bench.

“I’d say Jas Harris was a bright spot,” Dawley said. “In the second half she came in, and I think she had eight and five and was really, really aggressive.”

With the game well in hand and looking for a vital sign from her squad, Dawley was pleased with the efforts of her frontcourt late in the game.

“Kim (Pierre-Louis) came in and was aggressive, gave us some quality minutes and at least gave us some life, some fight,” she said. “And I thought Rashida [Timbilla], in the second half, was very aggressive, more than she’d been in the past few games.”

Millie Niggeling, Dee Montgomery and Aisha Rodney each added five points for the Minutemen win the loss.

UMass next returns home to Amherst for a matchup on Wednesday with conference foe La Salle at 11:45 a.m. in the Mullins Center.

Daniel Malone can be reached at dmalone@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Daniel_Malone.

You must be logged in to post a comment.