UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Swiming and diving teams finish middle of pack at Upper Valley Invitational

The Massachusetts men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams finished third and fourth, respectively, in the two-day Upper Valley Invitational at Dartmouth this weekend.

The Minutemen tallied up a total score of 654.5 points, falling short of first place finishing Dartmouth (1,109 points) and runner-up Boston University (716 points) in the standings. The women’s squad racked up 516.5 points for the weekend, falling behind Dartmouth (1,007.5), BU (729) and Northeastern (706.5).

Through the two-day invitational, the Minutemen grabbed a fair share of Top 10 finishes. A notable event for the men in day one was a second place finish in the 200-yard relay team race — swimmers John Conway, Wiktor Karpinski, Tim O’Neill and Colin Mulcahy — which tapped in with a group time of one minute, 25.56 seconds.

The Minutemen also saw four Top 10 finishes in the 1,650 yard freestyle, led by junior swimmer Chris Inglis. The 2011 Men’s Rookie of the Year placed third with a time of 16:38.20. Trailing Inglis was Alessandro Bomprezzi in fourth, Kyle Vieira in sixth and Matt Grippo in ninth.

Inglis would also have some success in the 200-yard freestyle, which is an event he is very familiar with at the Dartmouth pool. The Mashpee, Mass., native holds the pool record of 1:40.62 in the event and this time around finished seventh with a time of 1:44.92 time.

Eric Zeimetz had an impact on the UMass final score with his performance in the 200-yard butterfly when he snagged third place with his 1:56.09 finish.

The senior attributed the team’s success to coach Russ Yarworth’s preparation.

“We just got to keep pushing the team harder and harder and pushing ourselves harder,” Zeimetz said in an interview with UMass Athletics. “Russ does a great job of making ourselves mentally focused when we are down.”

The top diver for the men’s team was freshman Josh Koppel, who has shown much promise this season. The Latham, N.Y., native finished second in both the 1- and 3-meter dives on the boards.

As these meets are important, Yarworth and the Minutemen have their eyes set on winning their seventh consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship.

“The upcoming competitions are really for fine tuning and sharpening and seeing where we are at,” Yarworth said. “We’ll focus on those but obviously the focus is the Atlantic 10 Championship.”

UMass has its final tune-up before the A-10 tournament when it travels to Fordham this weekend.

Minutewomen finish fourth at Upper Valley

The Minutewomen totaled nine Top 10 finishes on just the first day in their fourth place showing.

Junior diver Mary Atkinson finished in first place with a career-high score of 293.75. Behind her were Molly Elkins (third place), Rachel Dushman (eighth) and Mikhaila Eckhardt (ninth).

In the second day of diving, Atkinson continued her dominance of the boards with a second place finish in the 1-meter dive. Atkinson finished with a total score of 258.80 in the event.

“This was a tremendous step forward for Mary Atkinson,” UMass coach Don Newcomb said. “I’m really proud of her performance this weekend.”

In the pool, freshman swimmer Jocelyn Yuen made her mark in the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 2:08.22, which was good for a second place finish. On the second day, Yuen continued to outshine all of the other swimmers in the pool with two first place finishes in the 100-yard butterfly (57.39 seconds) and 200-meter butterfly (2:06.27 minutes).

“Jocelyn Yuen had a really good weekend,” Newcomb said. “She has been real consistent this year with everything she has done.”

Sophomore swimmer Zoe Judd tallied three top-five performances on the weekend. Judd took third in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 24.35 seconds. In the second day, Judd placed third and fourth in the 200-yard (1:54.58 minutes) and 100-yard freestyles (53.60), respectively.

Newcomb is hoping his team can gain some rest and relax before it heads to the Bronx, N.Y., to take on Fordham in its final meet of the season before the A-10 tournament.

“I think the biggest thing is this weekend is one more opportunity to race,” Newcomb said. “I don’t look at it as a real gauge of where the team is. It’s one last race to take it right into a rest before the A-10’s.”

Chris Corso can be reached at ccorso@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Corso.