Front to Back: Week of Oct. 27, 2014 -

Friday, October 31, 2014

Blog Post: What the FAC -

Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Virginia Commonwealth loses rank, Charlotte gets blown out

After finally hoisting a spot in the Top 25 following a nearly 30-year drought, No. 19 Virginia Commonwealth fell out of the rankings following a home loss to Atlantic 10 foe La Salle, 69-61, on Saturday.

The Rams (16-5, 4-2 A-10) were beaten in two straight games last week, while the Explorers (14-5, 4-2 A 10) have become accustomed to providing upsets, especially after squeezing by No. 9 Butler last Wednesday.

La Salle guard Ramon Galloway led the way offensively for the Explorers, shooting 9-for-18 from the field and 9-for-10 from the charity stripe, totaling 31 points with 12 coming from behind the arc. Forward Jerrell Wright and center Steve Zack led the team defensively, combining for five blocks and 20 rebounds.

VCU led by as many as eight midway through the second half, but La Salle scratched and clawed its way back into it, tying the game at 46 apiece with 9:26 to go. The Explorers scored 10 of the next 13 points to build a 56-49 lead with 5:55 to go, as they held on for the victory.

Despite a meek, 61-point effort on 38.3 percent shooting from the field, individual efforts shined for the Rams. Forward Juvonte Reddic logged 22 points and 10 rebounds, while guard Treveon Graham finished with 13 points and 12 boards.
VCU travels to Rhode Island on Wednesday, while La Salle takes on visiting Massachusetts.

Colonial beat down

Charlotte is having a surprisingly successful season, but the impressive 49ers (16-4, 4-2 A-10) couldn’t come up with enough to beat George Washington on Saturday, as the Colonials (10-9, 4-2 A-10) destroyed Charlotte, 82-54.
Patricio Garino led GW with 16 points, while Lasan Kromah and Bryan Bynes each chipped in 12 off the bench.

While a blowout loss, might be short on positivity, the 49ers had three players who scored double-digit points. DeMario Mayfield carried the team with 17 points off 50 percent shooting from the field to go along with a co-team leading eight rebounds. Forward Willie Clayton also grabbed eight boards in the defeat.

GW hosts La Salle on Saturday, while Charlotte looks to get back on track against Massachusetts.

Clarke returns in Butler win

In his first game back since missing three games from a neck injury earlier in the season, Butler guard Rotnei Clarke proved he was ready to come back to competition after helping his No. 9 Bulldogs defeat Temple in an 83-71 home victory on Saturday.

The win came after a surprising loss to A-10 opponent La Salle in which Clarke’s absence loomed large in the defeat.
Despite the loss, the Bulldogs (17-3, 4-1 A-10) still managed to stay on the winning track, especially against the Owls (13-6, 2-3 A-10), who have proved to be one of the conference’s best over recent years.

From the opening tip, Butler stayed in the game until the end, led by Clarke’s 24-point performance off a 4-for-14 shooting night, which was justified by a clutch 13-for-14 pace from the free throw line. Clarke also provided nine assists in the game, while teammate Khyle Marshall shot 9-for-11 from the field to tally 19 points.

Temple allowed Butler to shoot 52 percent from the field, and were outrebounded, 33-21, including 10 offensive rebounds for the Bulldogs. The defense couldn’t contain an explosive Butler offense charged by Clarke, which led to such a loss.

The Bulldogs travel to Saint Louis on Thursday, and the Owls host Richmond Wednesday.

Tom Mulherin can be reached at tmulheri@student.umass.edu.