UMass holds world’s largest clambake -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Pair of UMass seniors set to increase leadership after Koch’s passing -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Remembering Robin Williams -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Racism after dark: Violence in the ‘sundown town’ of Ferguson -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Integrative Learning Center opens for fall semester -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

UMass looks to repeat success despite daunting schedule -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A fresh start for Blue Wall -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

#BlackLivesMatter: The irony behind “Black-on-Black” crime -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Advertising is all around us, with the help of Big Brother’s data -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Four albums that rocked the summer -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The sad decline of the American music festival -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

US and allies must eliminate ISIS -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Apple prepares to unveil iPhone 6 -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

UMass field hockey must fill void left by seven graduating seniors -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Seasonal brews and bottles -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

UMass women’s soccer drops home opener -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ is the perfect blend of comedy, superheroes and sci-fi -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Why the media doesn’t handle depression well -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Rao: ‘I like to call myself a walking paradox’ -

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

BC’s methodical rushing attack wears UMass down -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Ideas list: Working out in your dorm room instead of the gym

After getting back from a winter break, many students are looking forward to jumpstarting their New Year’s resolutions by committing to exercising and by extension to the state-of-the-art Recreation Center at the University of Massachusetts.

But even with all the gym has to offer, the bitter cold, snow and sleet beating down on Amherst is enough to dissuade anyone from taking the walk to the center. Instead of opting to skip your workout, try exercising in the comfort of your very own dorm room. By following this routine, you will get just as great of a workout as you would at the gym.

Do each of these 10 moves for one full minute. After 10 minutes of exercise, rest for two minutes. Repeat each cycle three times. The whole routine should come out to a little under 40 minutes. Take breaks when needed, water and stretch before and after to prevent injury.

Mountain climbers

In plank position, bring in your feet one-by-one as fast as you can. If you are on a tile or hardwood surface, you can use two face cloths under each foot.  That way you can pull in your feet quickly by sliding them, giving you a more effective workout.

Fast feet with a burpee

Sprint in place as fast as you can. Push yourself. Every 10 seconds jump to the ground into a plank position. Then quickly bring your feet back in between your hands and jump up, sprint again – repeat

Ski jump

Get into a plank position. To work your abdominals, jump both feet to your left, back in neutral position and then to the right. Repeat. Go as fast as you can and so as many reps as possible.

Push up

When you go down into push up position, bring one leg to your arms, one at a time. This will work the obliques. Alternate between the right and left leg with each move.

Plank

Try to do this on your hands, palms facing the floor. Keep arms straight. To modify, you can plank by bending your elbows and using your arms. If you are on your arms, be sure they are at a solid 90-degree angle.

Side Plank

Do 30 second planks on each side.

Squats

Standing up tall with feet together, jump down into a squat and create a wide distance between your feet. Then jump back up and bring in feet together.

High knees

Run in place and bring each knee up as high as you can, one at a time. Place hands near the chest and do your best to have your knees reach your palms. Do as many of these as you can and as fast as possible.

Triceps push ups

When you go down, tuck your arms next to your chest and be sure to keep them securely positioned. Do as many as possible but be sure to keep the right form. It’s better to have quality pushups over quantity for the best results.

Bicycle crunches

Lay down in crunch position. Keep hands gently behind the head and be sure to pull up with your abs only, do not strain your neck by pulling up with your hands. Keep chin to the ceiling. With each crunch, pull in one knee at a time. Alternate your legs with each lift. Do as many as possible.

For more ideas, download fitness apps on iTunes or look up workout videos on YouTube.

Kayla Marchetti can be reached at kmarchet@student.umass.edu.