UMass hockey falls to No. 6 UMass Lowell for third time this season -

UMass hockey breakdown in final minutes of the second period on route to 5-2 loss to UMass Lowell -

Notebook: Jack Gibbs stars as UMass men’s basketball team drops game to Davidson Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball drops another close game, falls to Davidson Saturday afternoon -

Local blogger Larry Kelley dies in car crash, remembered by community -

REPORT: UMass football to name Ed Pinkham as next defensive coordinator -

UMass students skip class to stand in solidarity with undocumented immigrants and refugees -

NPR Education Correspondent Eric Westervelt talks on future of education -

Faculty of journalism department discusses failures of journalism during Trump era -

UMass hockey prepares for third and final match-up against No. 6 UMass Lowell on Saturday -

Panelists hold discussion on embodying global coalitions -

Journalist speaks on criminalization of youth in the United States -

UMass women’s lacrosse heads to Florida in search of first win of 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to get offense back on track against Ohio State -

Duquesne stomps UMass men’s basketball 96-66 in Pittsburgh -

UMass softball focuses on mental approach ahead of Madeira Beach Invitational -

UMass women’s basketball drops eighth straight in loss at Richmond -

‘50 Shades Darker’ steams up all windows in the nation -

’20th Century Women’ is a love letter to women across generations -

‘Santa Clarita Diet’ delivers on the laughs and the scares -

Minutewomen set to host La Salle in front of local schools on “Field Trip Day”

The Massachusetts women’s basketball team returns home to the Mullins Center tonight to host an early bird special with Atlantic 10 Conference opponent La Salle.

Hundreds of students from local grade schools will be in attendance for the special 11:45 a.m. tipoff as part of the team’s annual “Field Trip Day” promotion.

The Minutewomen (3-17, 1-4 A-10) are looking to rebound from their 83-44 blowout defeat by No. 17 Dayton on Sunday. They haven’t won since opening their conference schedule with a 62-58 defeat of George Washington at home on Jan. 12.

“I don’t know if a loss helps your focus necessarily,” UMass coach Sharon Dawley said of the lessons to be learned from the Flyers game. “It helps with urgency, for sure, but I hope that our focus is consistent game in and game out, win or loss. But it’s more urgency (that) elevates (with) each loss we have.”

Third-year coach Jeff Williams has led the Explorers (6-13, 2-2 A-10) to back-to-back A-10 Tournament appearances, including a trip to the second round in 2012.

Brittany Wilson, an A-10 preseason first team selection at guard, leads La Salle with a 17.6 per game scoring average, but is coming off a performance in a win at Temple in which she tallied eight points on 2-of-6 shooting. She is also averaging 6.5 rebounds a game so far this season.

Dawley said containing Wilson will have to be a collaborative effort.

“We’ll do that as a unit,” she said. “I think someone of that caliber, someone that can put up numbers like that, it’s not necessarily one-on-one defense that’s going to do it for you. It’s the unit.”

Apart from stopping Wilson, the Minutewomen will also have to concern themselves with production of La Salle’s other double-digit scoring guards: Shanel Harrison (10.8 PPG) and Ebonee Jones (10.1 PPG).

UMass is hoping its own leading scorer, Jasmine Watson – who comes into the matchup averaging just over 12 points a contest through 19 games – will settle into a rhythm early. Watson scored six points last time out against Dayton after picking up three first-half fouls, and has led the Minutewomen in scoring once since Dec. 28.

UMass holds a 14-7 advantage all-time against the La Salle, but has dropped both games against the Explorers during Dawley’s tenure with the Minutewomen.

Daniel Malone can be reached at dmalone@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Daniel_Malone.