Closing arguments presented, jury deliberations begin Friday in first of four 2012 gang rape trials -

Friday, March 27, 2015

UMass library opens groundbreaking 3D printing lab -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse aims another perfect conference record against Duquesne -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass heads home to take on Albany -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coming off weekend victory, UMass softball prepares for series against St. Josephs -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

‘The Last Man on Earth?’ more like, ‘The Worst Show on Earth’ -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A new face for money -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass hopes to carry momentum into weekend series against VCU -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass Theatre Guild to present “Seussical” this weekend -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UMass eyes the future of its athletics with the hiring of Athletic Director Ryan Bamford -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Derrick Gordon to transfer from UMass in search of more prominent role -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Local author and activist Don Ogden writes to make environmental change -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chiarelli: Football the center of attention Tuesday at Bamford’s hiring -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

MANNA soup kitchen continues to feed the local hungry in Northampton -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Minutewomen set to host La Salle in front of local schools on “Field Trip Day”

The Massachusetts women’s basketball team returns home to the Mullins Center tonight to host an early bird special with Atlantic 10 Conference opponent La Salle.

Hundreds of students from local grade schools will be in attendance for the special 11:45 a.m. tipoff as part of the team’s annual “Field Trip Day” promotion.

The Minutewomen (3-17, 1-4 A-10) are looking to rebound from their 83-44 blowout defeat by No. 17 Dayton on Sunday. They haven’t won since opening their conference schedule with a 62-58 defeat of George Washington at home on Jan. 12.

“I don’t know if a loss helps your focus necessarily,” UMass coach Sharon Dawley said of the lessons to be learned from the Flyers game. “It helps with urgency, for sure, but I hope that our focus is consistent game in and game out, win or loss. But it’s more urgency (that) elevates (with) each loss we have.”

Third-year coach Jeff Williams has led the Explorers (6-13, 2-2 A-10) to back-to-back A-10 Tournament appearances, including a trip to the second round in 2012.

Brittany Wilson, an A-10 preseason first team selection at guard, leads La Salle with a 17.6 per game scoring average, but is coming off a performance in a win at Temple in which she tallied eight points on 2-of-6 shooting. She is also averaging 6.5 rebounds a game so far this season.

Dawley said containing Wilson will have to be a collaborative effort.

“We’ll do that as a unit,” she said. “I think someone of that caliber, someone that can put up numbers like that, it’s not necessarily one-on-one defense that’s going to do it for you. It’s the unit.”

Apart from stopping Wilson, the Minutewomen will also have to concern themselves with production of La Salle’s other double-digit scoring guards: Shanel Harrison (10.8 PPG) and Ebonee Jones (10.1 PPG).

UMass is hoping its own leading scorer, Jasmine Watson – who comes into the matchup averaging just over 12 points a contest through 19 games – will settle into a rhythm early. Watson scored six points last time out against Dayton after picking up three first-half fouls, and has led the Minutewomen in scoring once since Dec. 28.

UMass holds a 14-7 advantage all-time against the La Salle, but has dropped both games against the Explorers during Dawley’s tenure with the Minutewomen.

Daniel Malone can be reached at dmalone@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Daniel_Malone.