Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

UMass men’s basketball travels to Philly to take on red-hot La Salle

For Massachusetts men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg, it’s been the same storyline heading into each Atlantic 10 Conference tilt this season: Every game is a measuring stick to gauge the Minutemen’s position in the conference.

Cade Belisle/Collegian

Wednesday night’s tip-off at red-hot La Salle is certainly no exception, as UMass (13-5, 3-2 A-10) takes on the Explorers (14-5, 4-2 A-10) in Philadelphia. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m., and can be listened to on the radio on WEEI Springfield (105.5 FM).

La Salle enters the affair fresh off back-to-back upsets at Virginia Commonwealth and at home against Butler – two ranked teams in the upper echelon of the A-10.

Kellogg said his players are aware that Wednesday’s game could potentially become a statement game for his squad, especially considering the splash the Explorers have made on the national level.

“I think these guys are college basketball fans. They know,” Kellogg said before practice on Monday. “They knew that Richmond had beaten VCU before they came here and I think they understand that La Salle has beaten Butler and VCU. If it’s a slip of the tongue by me, that’s something that could probably happen too.”

UMass has struggled greatly at La Salle in recent memory, losing its only four games at Tom Gola Arena with Kellogg at the helm. Last year, the Minutemen dropped an 82-75 decision to the Explorers on Jan. 8, 2012, as part of a 0-2 showing against its conference foe last season.

Junior point guard Chaz Williams remembers all last year’s loss at La Salle all too well, and said the rest of the team is riled up at the chance to come out of Philadelphia with a different result this time around.

“Losing to those guys last year left a bad taste in our mouth,” Williams said.

Kellogg knows Tom Gola is a tough place to play, and hopes his players remember what happened when they came up short there last year.

“If they don’t, I’m going to remind them, just to let them know that this is a tough place to go in and play,” Kellogg said.

The Explorers have continued to shine at home, winning their last eight affairs as part of their 9-1 pace at home this season.

Kellogg said a big factor in the Minutemen’s struggles against La Salle is the two teams’ similar playing styles – both sides rely heavily on ball pressure and strong guard play, which neutralizes the effectiveness of UMass’ swarming full-court pressure since La Salle is used to practicing against it. As he calls it, “it’s just a UMass-La Salle thing.”

“Their defensive pressure and the way they can switch everything and really get out and create havoc and turnovers I think is really what makes them better than even their offense,” Kellogg said before practice on Monday. “I’ve been pretty impressed watching them on tape of how they play defensively. Even more so at home, and then they prove us wrong by going to do the same thing at VCU.”

Senior Ramon Galloway headlines a guard-heavy Explorers roster. Galloway leads the team with his 17.2 points per game, while junior Tyreek Duren chips in with 14.5 points per game.

Meanwhile, the Minutemen are fresh off their 70-65 win over Richmond on Sunday, in which they held the Spiders without a field goal for the final 6 minutes, 24 seconds of the game. UMass closed out the game on a 14-2 run and stole a crucial victory in conference play.

Sluggishly coming out of halftime plagued the Minutemen once again in the win, as they blew a five-point halftime lead when Richmond stormed out of the break with a 19-8 spurt to take a six-point edge.

Williams knows digging themselves out of such a hole will be more difficult at La Salle.

“It’ll be really key for us,” Williams said, “to get off to a strong start there, especially in the second half, to come out with great intensity, play great defense in the second half, and just go from there.”

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.