Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

Raphiael Putney submits strong outing in UMass men’s basketball’s win over La Salle

Maria Uminski/Collegian

PHILADELPHIA – It was the game from Raphiael Putney that Massachusetts men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg had been waiting for.

Putney, who came into this season with big expectations following a successful sophomore campaign in which he finished second on the team in scoring with 10.1 points per game, has had a surprisingly quiet and inconsistent junior season.

But on Wednesday night, in the Minutemen’s 61-60 victory over La Salle, all of that was forgotten. Putney submitted one of his best performances of the season as he finished with a team-high 17 points on 7-of-11 shooting from the field. He also finished 3-of-5 from 3-point range, hitting his first long ball since Jan. 2 after a 0-for-14 slump.

He said he felt confident, something that has been noticeably absent from his play for long stretches this season, in which he has  averaged just 7.6 points per game and hasn’t found consistency on the offensive end.

“Today was my day,” Putney said. “My teammates looked for me and I just made shots. … I had confidence in myself.”

From the opening tip, Putney looked locked in offensively. He scored the Minutemen’s first four points, faking 3-pointers and driving into the lane with ease to help UMass overcome the slow starts that have plagued it so much in the past at Tom Gola Arena and jump out to an early lead.

But what may have been Putney’s most impressive stat of the night was one that showed up as a zero in the box score. Putney, who has been marred by foul trouble not only this season, but in years past, finished the game with no fouls.

Putney has committed at least four fouls in seven of UMass’ 18 games this season, and has fouled out on three of those occasions. That was not  the case on Wednesday night, as he looked dialed in not only on the offensive end, but kept control defensively and avoided the silly fouls that he has been accustomed to taking.

UMass wins despite Williams

Chaz Williams will get all of the praise for the Minutemen’s big victory on Wednesday night for his game-winning layup with eight seconds left, but what may be lost in the shuffle is that he actually had one of his least impressive performances of the season.

Williams finished with just six points on 3-of-7 shooting – including going 0-for-2 from long range – and failed to get to the free throw line in his 36 minutes.

“Basically, he had nowhere to go,” La Salle coach John Giannini said. “The big guy was out there early and he couldn’t turn the corner … we played great ball screen defense.”

Terrell Vinson also played less-than-stellar in the victory, as he finished with just seven points on 3-of-13 shooting in 35 minutes.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.