Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

UMass Crime Log: Jan. 25-27

Friday, Jan. 25

At approximately 2:04 a.m., Hazell A. Killen, a 23-year-old psychology major from Lawrence, was arrested on a charge of domestic assault and battery. The University of Massachusetts Police Department received a report of an ongoing argument in an eighth floor room in John Quincy Adams Hall that could be heard by occupants of surrounding rooms. According to the caller, the argument, seemed only to be “getting worse.”

Upon arrival, the officers observed that there seemed to be items displaced around the room, making it apparent that there had been some sort of altercation. It turned out that it Killen was fighting with her boyfriend and had struck him across the face with an open hand. The cause of her conduct was because she was reportedly upset that her boyfriend had gone out with some friends — an action that she did not approve of.

She was placed under arrest, brought to the UMPD station and was later released on bail.

Later that afternoon, at about 5 p.m., UMPD was notified by the district court of a warrant for Killen’s arrest. She was reportedly supposed to have appeared in court that morning regarding her domestic assault and battery arrest, but failed to show, prompting the court to issue a warrant.

Deputy Chief of Police Patrick Archbald commented on the arrest saying, “It’s not like a birthday party where you get invited and you decide whether you want to go or not. When the court invites you, you better show up.”

Officers went to her dorm in Coolidge Hall and placed her under arrest for the second time that day. Her excuse for failing to show up to court was that she did not have any shoes to wear.

At approximately 11:54 p.m., 24-year-old Junhee So of Sunderland, was arrested on charges of failure to stop at a stop sign and operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license, after an officer on patrol witnessed So’s gray Honda Civic fail to stop at a stop sign at the intersection of Infirmary Way and Clark Road. The officer ran the registration of the vehicle and found that the owner had a suspended license. He then followed the suspect down North Pleasant Street to further observe the operation of the driver.

“At that hour, if you see someone blow through a stop sign like that, an officer may watch them (for a distance) and see if there is a more probable cause for the (illegal operation, such as an OUI.),” Archbald said.

So was stopped in the vicinity of Hasbrouck Laboratory and was placed under arrest.

Sunday, Jan. 27

At approximately 12:53 a.m., 23-year-old Alexa A. Drozdowski was arrested on charges of operating under the influence of liquor, obstructing a stationary emergency vehicle and negligent operation of a motor vehicle.

An officer was in the process of clearing an ordinary traffic stop on Thatcher Way, when he observed in his side view mirror, a vehicle traveling north, directly toward the rear of his car.

According to the officer, the vehicle passed him within “several inches” of his rear bumper. The officer approximated that the driver was traveling 30 mph in a 10 mph zone.

The officer pursued the vehicle, and stopped Drozdowski, whose vehicle had contained odor of alcohol. Drozdowski was asked to step from the vehicle and take sobriety tests, all of which she failed. She was arrested, and at the UMPD station her breathalyzer test read 0.16, double the legal limit.

At around 2:45 a.m., 20-year-old Peter J. Ottaviano of Holbrook, was arrested on a domestic assault and battery.

A number of officers were sent to what was reported to be a domestic assault and battery in progress between two brothers on the seventh floor in Grayson Hall.

One brother, a resident of the hall, reported that Peter, a non-UMass student, was in one of the lounges and was very intoxicated. He also stated that there had been an altercation between the two, during which Peter pushed him and punched him in the shoulder area.

According to the victimized brother the argument was regarding whether or not the visiting brother could stay to sleep in the lounge. The residing brother was not willing to take responsibility for his intoxicated sibling, causing him to react violently.

When the officers arrived in the lounge, they woke up and identified Peter. When one officer asked for identification, he instead handed him a package of gum.

Peter was then asked to take sobriety tests, most of which he failed, and the officers handcuffed him and took him back to the station.

He became combative in the car, as well as at the station, but was successfully booked.

According to the report, the residing brother made the call hoping Peter would be placed into protective custody for the night, but upon hearing about the altercation, the officers found it necessary to arrest him.

Taylor Snow can be reached at tsnow@dailycollegian.com.

You must be logged in to post a comment.