UMass defense can’t stop late Toledo surge, Minutemen fall 42-35 -

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Game Day Gourmet

Delia Barth/Collegian

From the most diehard football fans to those who don’t know the difference between a punt return and a tax return, Super Bowl Sunday has always possessed a heartwarming ability to unite people. Even now that the road to the NFL championship has been cut short for New England, everyone is still buzzing about where they will be watching the big game. Since no Super Bowl party is complete without a drool-worthy array of finger foods, here are some easy-to-make ideas that will guarantee a happy crowd!

Seven-Layer Dip

Though this savory dip is best known for having “seven layers,” the true beauty of it is that you can really give it as many layers and flavors as you wish. Best served in a shallow pan for scooping purposes (but anything works, really), just spread out and layer the ingredients to your heart’s content. Some of the most popular layer options are cream cheese, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, cheddar cheese, ground beef, beans, olives, onions and tomatoes, but you can make it as classic or creative as you want. Heat it up in the oven until the cheese melts and this appetizer will be gone before you can say, “Pass the tortilla chips!”

Pizza Bagels

Fast, easy, and oh so delicious, these make-shift pizzas are always a favorite. They lend themselves wonderfully to hungry party-goers, and above all, they offer the flexibility to make a unique creation out of every pizza. All you need is a roll of bagels split into halves, a can of tomato sauce, and whatever toppings float your boat. Put them in the oven for about 5-10 minutes at 325 degrees, and you’ve got yourself some gorgeous pizza that’s faster, cheaper and far more customizable than take-out!

Epic Veggie Platter

The health-conscious football fans will appreciate this one, but everyone can enjoy this treat if you add some flare! In addition to the classic celery, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, and ranch dressing, add options like crackers, pretzels, breadsticks, hummus, Caesar dressing and wine cheese dip to dress up this party staple. Having a wide range of options will leave people merrily munching throughout the whole game.

Football “Cake”

Since no party is complete without dessert, this treat combines the easy-to-decorate quality of a cake with the handheld convenience of cupcakes. All you have to do is cook a batch of chocolate cupcakes as you usually would and ice them with chocolate frosting. Then, position them the cupcakes into the shape of a football and make the stitches with white icing. You have a dessert and a decoration all in one that guests can grab without even taking their eyes off the screen!

Denise O’Brien can be reached at dmobrien@student.umass.edu.