Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

UMass Faculty Senate vote falls shy on call for reversal of football program’s FBS move

Maria Uminski/Collegian

The University of Massachusetts’ Faculty Senate vote to voice its disapproval of the football program’s recent move to the Football Bowl Subdivision fell short by one vote during its meeting on Thursday.

With 38 voting members present, the vote to call for a reconsidering of the move to the FBS was rejected by a vote of 19-18, with one abstaining member.

Prior to the poll, UMass Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy declared that the school’s administration would not reverse its decision, regardless of the result of the vote, according to a report on Masslive.com.

The call to vote on the issue was brought up in a meeting in December, during which a number of Senate members voiced negative opinions on the administration’s decision to move to the top level of college football.

According to an interim report presented by an ad hoc committee charged with assessing the program’s finances at a meeting in December, the University spent $8.22 million on the football program in 2012, an immense leap from the $3.16 million spent in 2010 when the team was still a member of the lower-level Football Championship Subdivision.

In its inaugural FBS season, the team finished with a 1-11 record and was dead last in average points per game (12.7) out of the 124 participating teams, while finishing 121st in points allowed per game (40.2).

McGuirk Alumni Stadium is scheduled to begin a $34.5 million renovation project in March, which will meet the contract requirements the University agreed to with the Mid-American Conference in March of 2011.

Taylor Snow can be reached at tsnow@dailycollegian.com