Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass hockey looks to reverse fortunes against BU

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

For the Massachusetts hockey team, Oct. 27, 2012, followed a script it was all too familiar with. The Minutemen got out to an early 2-0 lead against Boston University that night, but watched its advantage fade away as the Terriers were the ones who came away with a 3-2 win at the Mullins Center.

This Friday, UMass (9-12-2, 6-9-1 Hockey East Association) will try to prevent that script from repeating itself as it welcomes No. 11 BU (13-9-1, 10-6-1 HEA) back to Amherst for a 7 p.m. puck drop.

The Oct. 27 loss was the back end of a home-and-home series with BU. The Minutemen also came up short, 5-2, the night before.

UMass coach John Micheletto was especially pleased with the way his team competed against the Terriers at the Mullins Center despite the loss and said that his team learned a valuable lesson from that game.

“Particularly here at the Mullins Center, I thought it was a really good learning lesson for our guys in the early going about how you want to play no matter what the score is,” Micheletto said. “We got a little bit, when the game got tight, we fell back into some older, more passive mentality and that wound up hurting us.”

This time around, the Minutemen defense will be facing an especially tough task, as it will be in charge of neutralizing the third-best scoring offense in Hockey East. In 23 games this season, BU has averaged 3.09 goals per game, which ties them for third overall in the conference with UMass Lowell.

The Terriers’ offensive skills are something that UMass senior co-captain Kevin Czepiel is well aware of. Although he is a forward, he said that stopping the BU offense will need to be an all-around team effort with the offense pitching in at times.

“It’s gonna make us more aware that we have to come back and help our defensemen and maybe the forwards have to get back a little quicker, because they are a fast team,” Czepiel said. “So I think it’s just locking into our game plan and executing it.”

The Terriers, according to Micheletto, will be without the services of one of their top offensive players in Evan Rodriguez, who injured his hand during a 3-2 win against Providence last Friday night. During that game, Rodriguez had scored a pair of goals before he left. Rodriguez did not play in that Saturday’s 3-3 tie between the two teams.

Even in Rodriguez’s absence, BU still has a number of offensive weapons to turn to, including Cason Hohmann, Danny O’Regan and Wade Megan. Hohmann leads the team with 23 points and O’Regan is right behind him with 22. Megan ranks third in points with 19 and leads the Terriers in goals with 12.

“They’ve got a good blend of size and skill and that’s always kind of been a hallmark for them,” Micheletto said. “They are down one of their better players or hotter players in Rodriguez, but they’re a team that’s pretty even in terms of their success on the rush as well as off the cycle and offensive situations.”

Micheletto added that the Minutemen have allowed the least amount of shots in Hockey East this year and that the Terriers have struggled in this category. BU’s opponents have outshot them this year by 31 shots, while UMass has outshot its opponents by 154.

Also of note Friday night will be who will start in goal for each team. The Terriers showcase a pair of freshman goalies in Matt O’Connor and Sean Maguire. O’Connor has played in six more games than his counterpart, but both have put forth winning records in net.

Similarly, the Minutemen have a pair of goalies they can turn to in Steve Mastalerz and Kevin Boyle, both sophomores. While Mastalerz has started the past four games, Micheletto said that how both players perform in practice will be the deciding factor in who starts on Friday.

Friday’s game will be UMass’ first game back at the Mullins Center since it lost 5-4 to PC on Jan. 11.

“It’s gonna be exciting, especially having the students back,” Czepiel said. “We’re all aware of that, so it’s fun to get back here and be at home.”

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Cam_McDonough.

One Response to “UMass hockey looks to reverse fortunes against BU”
  1. Real Fan says:

Our boys need to understand what it takes to be a winner is to be a hater of losing. There’s a good deal of talent and guts on the team, but it isn’t out there at all times and from every player. They’ve got to play all their games, even ones against ‘crappy’ teams, as though they were championship games. Play each game like losing isn’t an option and see what happens.

DON’T LET YOURSELVES DOWN, GUYS. DON’T REGRET ANYTHING LATER.

GO UMASS!