Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

UMass men’s hoops looks to keep foot on the gas pedal at Charlotte

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

Coming off its biggest win of the season Wednesday night at La Salle, the Massachusetts men’s basketball team learned first hand that in the Atlantic 10, one or two impressive showings doesn’t carry over from one contest to the next.

So when the Minutemen (14-5, 4-2 A-10) travel to Charlotte on Saturday to take on a 49ers (16-4, 4-2 A-10) team without its leading scorer, DeMario Mayfield, it’s safe to say UMass won’t be overlooking the opponent.

“We’ll be ready to play,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said after Wednesday’s win. “These guys are maturing; they feel like this is a good opportunity for us. I’m not saying we’re definitely going to win the game or we’re going to win, but I do think they’re gonna be ready to play.”

The Minutemen strung together their most complete game of the season against La Salle, which had knocked off Virginia Commonwealth and Butler last week to bring the Explorers into the conversation of the A-10’s best. But UMass controlled the affair from the opening tip and didn’t dig themselves any holes, which led to the frantic finish at the end.

The Minutemen won’t get any chance to dwell on the victory, however, as they travel down south to face a Charlotte team that’s 10-1 in home games this season.

The Minutemen caught a break on Wednesday with the announcement that Mayfield, who leads the 49ers with his 11.7 points per game, had been suspended indefinitely after a “violation of athletic department policy.” Mayfield, a junior guard, started a pair of games last week — his first starts of the season. In those tilts, he finished in double figures in scoring on both occasions.

Kellogg hasn’t read too much into the void left by Mayfield’s absence, but merely thinks teams have to look to the next guy to step up. The Minutemen have faced a similar situation this year with the loss of starting guard Jesse Morgan three weeks ago.

“I think everybody’s lost some guys,” Kellogg said. “I think teams just have to adapt and play with who you have.”

Despite its impressive mark this season, Charlotte comes in fresh off an 82-54 beatdown at George Washington on Saturday, raising some questions about the 49ers’ standing in the conference.

But Kellogg and UMass know how cruel A-10 play can be, particularly this year, as the Minutemen are one of six teams clustered at the top of the conference standings with a pair of losses in the A-10, with Butler in first with a 4-1 mark. Kellogg called league play “unforgiving for everybody” after Wednesday’s victory.

With the win against La Salle, UMass improved to 6-1 on the road, a far cry from its blatant road woes from a year ago when it finished 7-7 in road tilts.

But this is a different Minutemen team than last year’s squad — one with an additional year of maturity and another year together as a group, which leads Kellogg to believe his guys are enjoying the road.

“I think it’s generally just that the guys are enjoying each other even more of being a team,” Kellogg said. “I think that’s evident by how they continue to fight and play, especially on the road, where they kind of seem to be coming together and trying to figure out ways to win.”

Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. The contest can be listened to on the radio on WEEI (105.5 FM).

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.

You must be logged in to post a comment.